Chapter 6

Lena slapped her hand over her mouth and practically jumped out of her seat when she realized the words that had just been uttered by Kara. It was as if someone had just thrown a jar of hot water on her.
Oh, God. Kara! How could she even suggest it? Her?

Lena's imagination went crazy, but she couldn't bring herself to assimilate the idea that had just been presented. Her heart was beating so loud and so fast, she could have sworn Kara would be able to hear it.
Kara. So delicious, so impossible and so utterly frightening. Yet so incredibly adorable at the same time.

Her thoughts were interrupted when Kara spoke.

"Unless you don't want to." she said. Uncertainty rang in her voice. Kara knew Lena would immediately reject the idea.

Lena gasped for air. She could hardly breathe, let alone think straight. "I...I" Lena stuttered

"I'm not going to be upset if you don't want to. I may not be what you want." Kara finished saying, swallowing the lump that was forming in her throat.

"I have to think about it." Lena finally stated. Nervousness still clung to her statement.

"Absolutely." Kara nodded and agreed quickly.

Lena was stunned by her brave proposition. But nonetheless, she could see Kara's vulnerability.
"I feel honored." Lena admitted.

"Honored?" Kara repeated in complete confusion.

"Yeah that you would even consider it, that you are willing to..." Lena's voice trailed off and she was unable to finish the phrase. She still couldn't bring herself to believe that this was really happening.

"I can't think of anyone better to do it." Kara said quietly almost whispering.

Lena rubbed her eyes and thought for a second.
"Would it be a sacrifice?" she closed her eyes and waited for Kara's answer.

Kara laughed at her question and Lena opened her eyes when she heard him.

"Are you kidding?" Kara looked at her in amazement.
"If I spread the word around town that you are willing to do it, all the idiots would be lining up at your doorstep." Kara concluded her answer with a grin.

"You think so?" Lena's face practically lit up. She was in shock.

Kara herself was in shock. She had never made such an extravagant comment about her sex appeal. Well, now that she thought about it, she had never made a compliment at all. Ever.

"But I mean, you should have a choice. You are not obligated to accept me. I just thought that..."

Lena cut her off in the middle of that phrase and finished it for her. "That I would be more comfortable with you. Thank you, Kara. It is probably true. Once I come out of my shock."

Now it was Kara cutting her off.
"Take your time."

"You won't change your mind?" Lena asked her question casually but on the inside, she was hoping that Kara wouldn't.

Kara shook her head.

"What about my bother?" Lena hated to ask it, but she knew she needed to face reality.

"I'm not saying it's going to be easy but we have kept secrets before. I guess we can do it again." Kara answered.

Lena had never been so impressed by anyone in her entire life. She shook her head in disbelief.
'I don't deserve such a good friend.'

"It's not like it is going to be awful."
Kara gave her a teasing grin.

"You mean we could have fun?" Lena flirted back, playing along with Kara's game.