First Meeting - Asra's POV (Age 6)

I had been searching all day. Looking for food scraps to eat. Looking for clean water to drink. Looking for a warm place to sleep. The only things keeping me warm at night are my pet snake named Faust and my dark red scarf. The only thing I had left of my parents. I miss them...They said they would come home soon after doing some work at the palace, but they never did...I miss the smell of my mother's favorite tea and the rustling of papers from my father's study. My home cozy and warm...but now I'm left in the cold with my only friend.

I was walking back to the docks for the night. After a long day of searching, hiding and running, I just wanted to lie down and fall asleep. Me and Faust enjoy sleeping by the ocean. The calming sound of the waves and the cool salty breeze that keeps us fresh in the summer helps me relax. But Faust loves going to the beach for a different reason. She loves to play games near the docked ships. Faust loves to climb onto the ships to the top of the ship sails and fall down so I could catch her. It's her favorite game. Sometimes I get scared that I won't be able to catch her. Thankfully I know enough magic to catch her fall every time.

While walking to the docks, I notice Faust peeking up from under my scarf. I stop in my tracks and look at Faust while she sticks her tongue out briefly.

"What's wrong Faust?", I question her.

Faust slithers out from underneath my scarf and down my body. She slithers to the ground and starts slithering away quickly down the path towards the docks.

"Faust! Wait", I yell after her while running towards the docks.

I chased her down as quickly as I could. My breath quickening and my heartbeat racing. Feeling the cold night air brush against my skin and rustle my hair. I didn't care if my legs ached, I just couldn't lose my friend.

Finally, I come to a stop at the docks. I spot Faust coiled up into a ball while flicking her tongue in and out. I stop behind her, holding onto my knees for support while trying to catch my breath. My lungs felt as if they were on fire.

"Faust...why did you run off...", I ask with my voice dry. Trying to regulate my breathing pattern.

I look to Faust, who has her head up, looking towards the ocean. Her bright red eyes focused on something.

"What are you looking at...?", I look towards the end of the docks and spot a shadowy figure sitting at the edge.

I hope it's not one of those rowdy kids that live near the market area. They never leave me alone, always chasing me and asking me to join their "gang". I thought I lost them in the crowd earlier, how did they find me? I approached the figure cautiously and slowly.

The figure turns to me quickly and sees me. I stop in my tracks and the figure turns around and stands up. Their back facing towards me and they turn to face me.

The figure turns out to be a pretty girl around my age. Her beautiful e/c eyes shining in the moonlight. Her h/c swaying with the cold ocean breeze. She wore a long white tunic, which looked too big for her and was a bit dirty around the edges.

"W-who are you and what are you doing here?", I shouted, trying to sound intimidating but my voice sounded shaky and breathless. My throat felt dry and my knees were wobbling.

The girl tilted her head slightly to the side while looking me directly in my eyes. She opened her mouth slightly and began to speak.

"Isn't it obvious? I came to enjoy the ocean." She said, her voice was soft and quiet, I couldn't tell if she was shy or if this was just her normal voice.

The girl looked past me and saw Faust still curled up into a ball. She walked up to Faust and my pulse quickened. What if she tried to hurt or steal Faust? I can't let anything happen to her, she's all I have left.

"S-she bites." I stammered and broke into a nervous sweat. I clutched onto my scarf tightly, my fingernails digging into the tattered up fabric.

The girl crouched down to Faust and held her hand out. Faust looks at her and lifts her head slightly. The girl scratches Faust's chin while I look at her. Faust flicks her tongue again and relaxes under the girl's touch. She doesn't seem to want to cause harm to Faust so I relax my tense shoulders a bit.

"What's her name?", the girl asks while Faust wraps herself around her arm.

"...Faust", I answer while watching her carefully.

The girl stands up with Faust wrapped around her arm. The girl pets Faust's head gently and turns towards me.

"And yours?", she questions.

"...Asra", I answer back.

The girl nods and she holds out her arm with Faust wrapped around it. I hold my arm out and Faust slithers off her arm and onto mine. The girl smiles softly at me. Her smile was gorgeous, nothing could compare to it. She starts walking down the docks and I watch her walk away.

"W-wait, what's your name?", I question.

She turns around and smiles at me.

"Maybe the next time we see each other, I'll tell you my name."

"But when will I see you again?", I question with a hint of concern.

"Who knows." She says, the girl smiles once again and walks away into the night.

Leaving me alone with Faust and the ocean breeze. Now I wonder when I will meet her again.