Chapter 3

The first thing that went through my head was poor little Aly. The same Aly who's hair I had braided this morning. I looked at Percy and he had silent tears starting to stream down his face. Finnick, on the stand was clutching the arms of his chair. Then my eyes landed on Aly, who was walking up towards the stage with shaky footsteps. In that moment I made the bravest, bordering on stupidest decision of my life.

 I felt my hand shooting up and I no longer had control of my mouth as I shouted the words. "I volunteer as tribute!" 

Aly spun around. "Sage, No!" 

I pulled my hand out of Percy's and ran to the center of the walkway. 

"I volunteer." I say again, calmly this time.

 I walked to Aly's side and pushed her behind me

 "Go back, find your brother."  

Lilly coughed something about respecting protocol when Finnick whispers something to her. She turns red and waves me up to the stage, I see Aly is being pulled away by Cedar who is looking at me with her big green eyes brimming with tears asking me why. I walk up the steps and Lilly takes me by the shoulder and leads me over to the microphone. 

"What's your name?" 

"Sage Beatty." 

"I bet you didn't want another Odair to take the crown of Victor did you?"

 I looked at her. 

"I just don't want my little friend to go in there."

 Lilly raised her eyebrows as much as her obvious face lift would let her. "I see, now onto the boys." 

She reached in and grabbed the first slip of paper that she felt. Then she walked to the mic. 

"Perseus Odair."

 I looked down, hoping to hide the tears forming in my eyes, as Percy approaches the stage and climbs the steps to stand on the other side of Lilly.

 "Are there any volunteers?" she asks and the crowd is quiet, then the most amazing thing happened, someone raised his hand.

 A big tall boy that I recognized as the Rock. "I Volunteer."

 No surprise there, I remembered how he had gone around bragging about how he was going to volunteer. I had thought he was crazy. But look at where you are now, my subconscious said. Rock's heavy footsteps thudded on the stage as he walked by Percy as Percy walked back to his spot in the crowd.

 "What's your name?" Lilly asked him. 

"Rock Morgan." 

Lilly turned to the mic. 

"Ladies and Gentlemen give it up for our District 4 tributes, Sage Beatty and Rock Morgan!" 

Applause thundered through the plaza and I saw a few three fingered salutes, from some of the victors outside the circle. Then the Peacekeepers came up and took us to the Justice Building. The Peacekeepers shoved me into the small room, and slammed the door.

                My first visitor was my mother and sister. Cedar ran right into my open arms and mother hugged both of us. 

"I'm so sorry, I just couldn't let Aly go in there."

Cedar looked up at me through the tears. 

"I know why you did it, but I would rather have my sister alive than my friend." 

I hugged her a little tighter, trying to hold back the tears,

"I know", but I wouldn't have been able to live with myself.

 My mother was trying her best not to cry. 

"You guys will be fine, Cedar still has her job and Mom can do odd jobs. Just don't let what happens on the screen affect you, alright?" 

Cedar said something but it was muffled. I leaned down, 

"What was that?" 

She spoke again, clearer this time, "You're going to win, Sage I know you will."

 "I'll try." 

Then the Peacekeeper was at the door, ushering them out. I kissed my mother and Cedar. "I love yous!" were quickly exchanged before they were pulled out the door. 

Cedar yelled "I love you Sage!" one last time as the door slammed shut.

I sat back on the velvet couch, running my hand across the fine fabric, we didn't have very many nice things in District 4 but we had more than say 10 or 11. We definitely had more than 12. I felt the tears welling back up at the thought of never coming back here, never taking a long walk on the beach, or sparring with Percy. Never seeing my family or the Odairs again. I stared blankly at the door praying Percy would walk through. He did. I went over to hug him but he pushed me away.

 "Sage, you have to win."

 He gripped my shoulders and looked me right in the eyes. I nodded.

 "Well sure I'm going to try..."

 "I'm not kidding Sage. Your sister is too young to lose you. They need you. I need you."

 Then he hugged me. I was still in awe at how he had reacted, but I numbly hugged him back.

 "I'll be okay," I whispered in his ear.

 He didn't answer, so we just stood there, holding each other until the Peacekeepers came to take me to the train.

Hey guys! How's it going? I hope you enjoy this new chapter! Stay safe and healthy!

As always, I don't own The Hunger Games, the wonderful Suzanne Collins does!

All the Love!

❤ Buckaroobelle