Chapter 19

When I looked at my reflection in the mirror, I didn't recognize myself. My skin was flawless, and the bones in my face had been set in a much more attractive way then they had been before. My freckles were gone though, the part of my face that I had grown to like. The Capitol must have not found them flattering. As I raised a shaking hand to touch my face, Finnick gently took my arm and guided me away from the mirror, towards the exit. The light blue hospital gown was scratchy against my legs as I used the crutches provided to propel myself down the hall. 

We entered a room and my heart sunk to my toes quicker than a rock in a stream. Laying in front of me was the same outfit we wore in the games. The grey and blue jumpsuit and boots standing there in all their glory.

 "You have to wear it to greet your team," Finnick said. "Normally your mentor wouldn't see you until then but, you're a special case." 

I felt myself nodding numbly as a red-headed Avox girl came in and Finnick left me to change. I hissed when the fabric was pulled over the casing on my knee, the action sending shoots of pain up my leg. Soon I have dressed again and the Avox put my right boot on, she left the other one on the floor. When I looked at myself in the mirror I felt the bile rising in my throat. That was a different person, not the one who volunteered for Finnick Odair's little sister. All of the valor was gone, stripped away by the harsh reality. Her eyes were dimmer somehow. I held out my hands and pointed at the crutches, the Avox girl handed me my crutches and I thanked her. She brushed it off and led me through a door where my team was waiting.

Ash was the first to embrace me. Her comforting arms enveloping me in a safe cocoon that only a mother could create. "You did amazing sweetie."

 Adrain hugged me tight to his chest and buried his face in my hair. "You have no idea how stressful that was for me." He said and led me to a door. 

When he opened it my prep team swarmed me like excited bees. They were basically speaking gibberish; they were so excited. I smiled as they sat me down in a chair and started on my makeup. I tuned out what they were saying because it was all about what had happened during the games and their favorite moments. 

"When you made the District 12 girl face you before you killed her where she stood was my favorite!" Purple said and I winced. 

Maggie. Hers and so many other's faces were burned in the back of my eyelids along with their final moments. Whenever I blinked I saw them, dying. Over and over again. I wanted to scream, to tell them to shut up, to tell them that this shouldn't be enjoyed! Two twelve-year-old kids died for their entertainment. They were twelve. They hadn't even started their sixth year in school. By the time they were done with my makeup Adrian came in and started on my hair. He braided it into an updo, a complicated bun with braids on the sides. He was quiet as was I. I didn't want to be here, but Adrian gave me some comfort with his presence. When he was done, he sprayed it with hairspray and looked at me. 

"You look like a Victor."

 I nodded and he pulled out a garment bag and unzipped it. Inside was a sparkly light purple A-line dress. It had dainty spaghetti straps and when I was in it I looked innocent. Almost, little girl like.  

Adrian fluffed the skirt slightly before handing me my crutches. "I was going to put you in something short, but you have that cast on your leg so we went for something longer." 

"Thanks, Adrian it means a lot."

 "Enough about me though! Let's get you to your recap," 

I think that was when it hit me, I was going to have to watch myself kill people. In front of an audience. I thought about it as I clicked down the hall after Adrian. He lead me into an old musty room with a large platform in the middle. 

"When they call for you, stand in the middle of the circle." He said and scurried off to go change. 

Finnick came in after Adrian was gone and gave me a big hug. "The President's mad Sage." He whispered in my ear.

 "Why?" I whispered back, 

"The Games ended too soon. They should have been at least two weeks, but they were only five days. Some of the Capitol citizens are complaining about the lack of entertainment." He spoke in short clipped sentences. "He is madder at Cenica than you but, you did kill at least six of the tributes. So play it safe."

 I nodded and fixed a hair that had come out of his gelled up look. "Aww, Finnick! You are so funny!" I said and he smiled. 

"You are going to be really good at this." 

Oh my gosh y'all, sorry for the late update. I have been meaning to update for several days now but it just didn't happen. Thank you for 1k reads! This is so cool! Thanks for reading and voting and as always I don't own the Hunger Games.