Chapter 16

I slunk back into the city as the sun started to peek over the horizon. It really was quite pretty, the sun coming up over the salt flats. There was still no sign of water though. At the thought of water my mouth suddenly felt dry. I pushed the thought aside, there were only six of us left and at the rate that this was going there would be a Victor by tomorrow morning. As I looked out over the city I could barely see the smoke from the Career's fire rising over the Cornucopia. From what I could tell they hadn't been hunting yet and even if they had, it hadn't been successful. I heard the salt crunch under someone's boot and I came face to face with Electra. I supposed that I had spoken too soon about them not hunting. Her cold blue eyes stared me down and I felt myself slinking away from her. She was backed up by the District 1 boy who was glaring at me so intensely I felt like the flesh was going to melt off of my face. 

"Caught ya." Electra snapped and smiled. "I'm surprised, I didn't think that we would be able to get this close to you. It must be a miracle that you've lasted this long."

 I tightened the grip on my trident and looked from Electra to District 1 and back again. I felt like the fox that got caught in the chicken coop. Dead. Very dead.

They circled around me slowly, analyzing and teasing me. District 1 lunged at me and I blocked his machete between the tines of the trident. It fell to the ground and his eyes widened. 

"Finch! You idiot!" Electra screamed at him as my trident sunk into his chest.

 He fell to the ground and the cannon boomed. Electra looked at him, and at me. 

"You killed him. You b*tch!"

 She ran at me and I found myself backpedaling to get away from her axe that was flying above my head as I dropped to the salt. I rolled over to my trident and pulled it out of Finch's body. I blocked her attack with the handle. It bent under the weight of her blow and she went stumbling backward giving me time to pull myself to my feet. I pulled a knife and sunk it into her calf. She screamed and punched me. Hard. Before I knew it I was pinned to the ground and my face was being pummeled with her huge meaty fists. My, what I assumed was a broken nose was definitely broken now, so at least that diagnosis was correct. I tried to shove her off of me to no avail. She had to be three times my size and at least four times heavier. I finally got ahold of a knife in my belt and stabbed her in the stomach. Then she got a hold of my throat and I felt myself struggling to breathe. She kept hitting and choking me and I kept stabbing her. My face felt like ground beef by the time I got her off of me and her gut looked the same way. I had run out of oxygen and she was holding in her guts when she stumbled off. She must have thought I was dead, or at least close. Which was probably right. 

My front teeth were loose and both eyes had started to swell shut. I was pretty sure a crap ton of the little bones in my face were broken because when I moved everything seemed to grind together. My vocal cords seemed to have taken a huge blow as well as I could barely speak. In short everything hurt. I wasn't sure why I let her beat on me for as long as I did. Maybe it was some sort of psychological thing that came with killing people. After some time of laying there, I peeled my ground beef face, off of the blood-stained ground before falling back down again. My face and body were shaking with pain and shock before my vision went black and I passed out.  

"Sage, wake up." 

I opened my eyes to see Percy standing over me, extending his hand. I took it and he pulled me up. 

"Am I dead?" I asked and he laughed, 

"Almost, pretty close actually." 

That thought was somehow calming and Percy grabbed my shoulders, "That's why I'm here, Sage. You can't die" 

Then his face changed and I was looking at Finnick. "You cannot die on me Beatty. Common Snarky, I believe in you." 

Then I was looking down at Aly. "Don't die for me."

 Cedar was embracing me. "I love you Sagie, don't leave me." 

My mother, tears streaming down her face said nothing. She just stared at me with cold lifeless eyes. My father, long gone, was staring at me. His green eyes matched mine and he had a kind windblown face. 

"Don't go, Sage, your mother can't take another heartbreak."  He said and he sounded just like I remembered. 

Then they were all gone and I was left alone in a cold black room. I was pounding on the walls and screaming to no avail. Then a hand reached down and plucked me up and into the light. 

Hey guys! Hope you like this new chapter! We are getting down to the final few tributes! Thank you for everyone who is reading and voting! I do not own the Hunger Games. Stay safe and have a fabulous day!

All the love❤

Buckaroobelle