Chapter 18

Part 3-
I could feel myself being pulled out of a dark drug-induced sleep and I fought it. No, no, don't make me go back to reality. As I sunk back into the high, the blackness grew darker and larger until it was a vastness surrounding me like an ocean. The morphing shooting through my system was enough to keep the memories at bay, and for a while I wasn't sure who I was. I was simply existing in blackness, a vast universe of my own creation. I walked around for a while before running into a bronze haired boy with sea-green eyes.

"Who are you?" I asked him and he smiled,

"I'm not sure, Who are you?"

"I don't know either," I said shrugging, "Do you want to dance?" I asked him and he whisked me up into a dance that I didn't know, but it somehow felt familiar.

We danced in the vast blackness without fear and without knowledge, content with simply existing. Then he began to flake away slowly at first then faster, disappearing like ashes blowing away in a hot summer breeze. I tried to catch him and put him back together but he just kept blowing away until all that was left was me in the blackness. I screamed a name that I couldn't understand before I felt myself being pulled out of the dream again. This time there was no fighting it as I could hear people talking faintly in the distance. Quiet at first but it grew louder the harder I listened.

Slowly the blackness began to fade and I could hear that the voices were discussing a person. 

"She completely severed the posterior cruciate ligament in her left leg and most of the bones in her face were shattered. There was also severe injury to her vocal cords but we got most of that patched up. But, she will be on crutches for about 6 months and will need physical therapy." I could hear someone saying these awful things, who were they talking about?

I couldn't be me, right? I was safe, I had been sent away from the suffering of something I didn't know. 

Then I heard the familiar deep tone of a man's voice. "Is that it?"

Were they talking about me? They couldn't be, I existed in a world of blackness, they couldn't be talking about me.

I heard the first speaker clear his throat, "Due to the severity of the injury and the damage done to the bones in the leg, as well as the PCL, being completely severed she will probably have a limp for the rest of her life."

This poor girl.

"You have done everything you can?" It was the man again.

"Yes, Mr. Odair. Do you want us to do alterations?"

What were alterations? Why would they want to alter this girl they were talking about?

"No." I heard Mr. Odair snap.

"But Mr. Crane said,"

"I said no."

"I understand Mr. Odair. Do you want to go see her?" The speaker asked,

"Yes, I would."

I heard a door creak open and my world of darkness changed to a world of blinding white. I felt my body rolling over enough to see Finnick Odair squatted down next to my bed.

"Finnick?" I croaked.

"Hey Beatty." He said and the memories came flooding back and I remembered. The girl was me.  The blackness wasn't real, there was no such thing as safety.

I smiled weakly, "I won,"

"You did, and I'm so proud of you." He leaned over and hugged me gently.

I felt tears stinging in my eyes. As they started to fall they soaked his cotton shirt. The stabbing in my chest was more painful than anything the Capitol could do to me.

"I killed so many people, Fin."

"I did too, it's going to be alright."

"No it's not, I'm a monster."

"No you aren't, you are a product of your situation. Not a monster."

"How do you know that?" I sniffed, wiping my nose on the back of my hand. 

He looked me in the eye, "Because none of us are murderers, we were kids in an unfortunate situation who happened to survive. Okay?"

I nodded and he hugged me again. "We might have to tell Adrian that you aren't going to be able to wear heels. Or a short dress," he said gesturing to the cast on my leg.

I smiled, missing the blackness and the oblivion that came with the amnesia that the morphing provided, "Yeah,"

We were quiet again before the thoughts frantically running around in my head came spilling out of my mouth.

"Am I ever going to be the same Finnick?"

He thought about it, "No, but you can be better."

"I'm going to be known as the girl from District 4 with the limp now. Huh?"

Finnick laughed at that. "No one will call you that. I promise. I won't let them"

"Thanks, Fin"

"You bet Beatty." He hugged me again. "Now how about we get you ready for your interview?"

Hey guys! Hope you like this chapter, it was super interesting to write. Have a nice rest of your day and as always I do not own the Hunger Games!

All the love

Buckaroobelle