Chapter 8

I sat next to Rock as we waited to be called in for our individual assessment. He was perched on the edge of his seat and I slouched in my chair. Dakota looked over at me and gave me a nervous smile. I ignored him and looked down at my hands. I picked at my fingernails and cuticles pulling off pieces of skin and nail while I waited for my name to be called.
"Dakota Vesitge, District 2, report for individual assessment."
He stood and walked through the sliding doors that closed behind him with a resounding crack. I twiddled my thumbs as I listened to the loudspeaker call in District 3, then Rock. I waited about 15 minutes after Rock went in before my name was called.
"Sage Beatty, District 4. Report for individual assessment."
I rose and walked through the sliding doors and into the training center.

The Gamemakers were attentive and watching as I stepped into the room.

"Sage Beatty, District 4." I said and the head gamemaker a man named Cineca Crane nodded at me. "You may begin."

I immediately gravitated towards the tridents. I picked one up and felt the cool metal against my hot hands, suddenly I was back at the beach with Percy. There was no games, and I wasn't in the capitol, if even for a moment. I chose a dummy and drove the trident through its heart at 10 yards, then at 20. I grabbed a piece of rope and tied the most complicated knot that I knew, before throwing some knives and then coming back to the tridents for the remainder of the session. I showed off, spinning it above my head and around my back before I would drive trident after trident into the dummies. Every time I would see an eyebrows raise and someone called a trainer in to spar with me. It took me about 5 minutes but I soon had the poor trainer on the ground. He was heaving but I hadn't even broken a sweat. Soon after I stood in front of the gamemakers. "Thank you, Miss Beatty. You are excused."
I nodded and walked out of the room. This all took maybe 15 minutes, but as soon as I got up to the District 4 appointment I collapsed onto the couch and ordered food. Finnick came in while I was in the middle of eating something the Capitol called waffles and rolled his eyes. "Really, Beatty. Do you only think about food?"
His comment confused me
"What do you mean? I haven't hardly eaten anything."
He scoffed, "You know what, forget it."

Then he left me alone with my waffles. I pushed the sweet treat around my plate, my appetite gone. He didn't even ask me how training went. Not that I cared, he obviously didn't need to know anyway. I still felt my feelings take a small blow though and the confidence that I had been carrying myself with since I got to the Capitol collapsed. I left my half eaten waffle on the table and numbly walked to my room, tears stinging my eyes. I missed District 4. I missed my mom, Cedar and Percy. I slammed my door behind me and threw myself down onto the bed and sobbed. I didn't care what the Capitol people thought, I hated being here. Being someone I'm not, being forced to be someone I'm not to stay alive. So I can die for their enjoyment. I rolled over and looked at the ceiling. It was so white, not a crack or a scratch. Snow. It was him. He did this. He is the one who insists on having their stupid games. In that moment I made myself a promise. If I win, I have to bring an end to these games. I dried my eyes and punched the pillow. That made me feel a little bit better, but not much. I heard a noise in the living room area and I stepped out to see the TV lighting up with Caesar Flickerman's voice. "The Training scores are in!"
Where are Ash and Rock? Where's Finnick? There was not a sound in the flat so I rummaged around in some drawers until I found a pad of paper and a pen. Caesar was still droning on about something so I scribbled down the Districts.
"But you must be sick of hearing me talk! Now, the training scores! From District 1 with a score of 8 Finch!"

I scribbled Finch's name and the number 8 under Disrict 1. His District partner also pulled an 8. District 2- Dakota got a 9 and his district partener, the huge girl a 7. District 3 had a 4 and a 6. Rock got a 8 and I crossed my fingers as Caesar said my name. "District 4- Sage Beatty with a score of 10!"

I squealed and jumped up and down. A 10! I didn't think I was that good! I squealed some more and jumped up and down before returning to my notepad. As I scribbled down training scores my mind was racing. A 10, that would get me sponsors that could inevitably save my life. Soon Caesar had gone through all of the Districts and I set the notepad on the table and wandered back to my room and crashed onto my bed and fell into a fitful sleep.
Hey guys, sorry about the bad editing, I'm doing this from my phone for a little while so bear with me. Hope you liked this chapter! I do not own the Hunger Games!
All the love❤︎
Buckaroobelle