Chapter 6

I was blown away by the sheer amount of people there were, and it took me a minute to remember that they were all potential sponsors and I started to wave and blow kisses. I see a little kid reaching out to catch it and I smile and reach out to him and he giggles. Rock is staring straight ahead, with a cold stare. He wasn't worried about getting sponsors. He was going to rely on skill, but skill won't get you food or medicine when you need it. I kept waving at the crowd, like the old world rodeo queens that I read about in school once. Someone threw a rose and I reached out and snatched it out of the air and place it between my teeth and smile. The crowd likes this and I take it out and go back to waving and blowing kisses to the little kids that line the streets. I catch a glimpse of myself in one of the many screens and I am awestruck. The bodysuit shines like oil, or the skin of a fish and I can see where Adrian was coming from. It takes us about 20 minutes to get to the tribute center where the chariots circled one last time before coming to a stop. President Snow stepped out and the crowd went silent.

 "Welcome! I am so honored to be in the presence of this year's tributes! This is the 73rd year of the Hunger Games but it never ceases to amaze me what a fine bunch we have this year." 

I saw him look at Rock and I and raise his eyebrows.

 "I toast to you, fight hard and enjoy your time in the lovely Capitol! May the odds be ever in your favor!" He raised a glass and took a drink and the crowd stood up and applause echoed through the square. 

Our horses lunged forward as the tribute center doors opened and we retreated into the darkness again.

Finnick and Ash met us when our horses finally stopped.

 "Way to make friends Rock." Ash said, Finnick snorted and she slapped his arm. I stepped down from the chariot and pulled the boots off of my aching feet. 

"You did good," He said and I gave him a sarcastic smile.

 "Sure I did."

 "No you did, I've already gotten 12 sponsor requests. They loved you, not so much Rock." He looked over at him sadly, "He's arrogant isn't he."

 I nodded. 

"He thinks he'll win with just his skills." 

 Finnick hummed and rubbed his chin. 

"He won't last very long." It was very final, almost like a coroner examining a body.

 "Let's get that makeup off of you though, you're freaking me out." He said with a chuckle and I held up my boots,

 "I hope you don't expect me to put these things back on." 

He shook his head, "Nah, you're fine, but your prep team complained pretty hard about the calluses on your feet."

 Of course they did, they have never had to do any real work in their lives. There was no reason for them to have calluses. Even the idea of not having shoes was appalling to them. I kept these thoughts to myself and just smiled as we boarded the elevator and rode up to the 4th floor.

The next day, I was up early, only to find that I was the only one who was. I wandered over to the breakfast table and grabbed a roll, it was soft and fluffy, unlike the ones we have in District 4 that have a greenish hue and a thick crust. I tore off a piece to find it had cheese and something else baked into it. I groaned and grabbed another one as Finnick stepped into the dining room.

 "I see you've found the cheese rolls." he said, smiling.

 I shook my head yes, my mouth too full of bread to speak. He grabbed one, broke it in half and popped it into his mouth. 

"Alright, you guys have to be to training in an hour and Rock is not up." 

I rolled my eyes, 

"He's not my problem." I remarked and Finnick shook his head.

 "Your snarkiness never ceases to amaze Miss Beatty."

 "Thank you, Mr Odair." 

We ate in silence for a while before he pulled out his notepad.

 "I saw you flirting with District 2, what's up with that?" 

"I want to pretend to be in the career pack, but then once I get to the cornucopia stab them in the back."

  That sounded a lot better in my head. Finnick mulled this over,

 "It could work, but maybe be a little ditsy too. Make them help you throw knives or wield a spear." I nodded and he asked, 

"So while we are on this topic, I know you are pretty good with a trident, but can you do anything else?"

 I thought about it for a while. 

"I can throw knives, a little bit. I'm not as good as I am with a trident."

 He nodded and scribbled on his notepad. 

"So avoid the trident station and spend more time on knives and survival skills. Make friends too, but don't make yourself an obvious target."

 "Simple." I stated and then our conversation was stopped by Lilly, Ash, and Rock coming in for breakfast. 

Hello! Hope you guys liked this chapter! I promise it will start to get more interesting. In the mean time stay safe and healthy! I do not own the Hunger games, unfortunately that still hasn't happened for me, but Suzanne Collins does. 

All the love ❤

Buckaroobelle