Chapter 17

When I woke I was being carried. Rock, Rock was carrying me. I tried to speak but only a croak came out. He looked down at me and smiled. 

"You look like sh*t," he said and I tried to smile only to have excruciating pain shoot through my face. "Don't try to do anything, your face is so swollen I can't even tell if your eyes are open." 

I shook my head and croaked out one word, "Why?" 

"Why save you? Finnick sent me a parachute telling me to go find you. So I figured I would. Lexi and Finch disappeared about 6 hours ago so I killed Nyx and came to find you."

 Nyx, that must have been the District 3 girl. That meant, including Finch there should only be four tributes left. Holy crap, I could go home. 

Rock looked at me, seeming to read my thoughts. "I could just kill you now, I have your trident after all." 

The look on my face must have been priceless because he laughed. "I'm kidding, I have never been much of a trident man. You can have it back." 

He set me down under a greasewood brush and handed me the trident. I hugged him, 

"Thank you," I whispered in his ear. 

"You're welcome Beatty. Do you think you can walk?" He asked and I stood up, shakily before giving him a thumbs up. 

Then Claudius Templesmith's voice boomed across the arena. "Congratulations to our final four tributes! I would like to invite you to a feast at the Cornucopia at sundown. I do hope to see you all there."

 Then it was silent. Sundown was in a few hours and we weren't that far from the cornucopia. 

"Shall we go to the feast, Milady?" Rock asked, extending his arm.

 I nodded before taking it and we headed towards the Cornucopia.

Rock and I crept through the ruins around the Cornucopia. We hid behind the church for a few hours as the sun began to set. 

"Good Luck, Rock." I said and he smiled. 

"You too." 

Then it was quiet again. I heard footsteps and tapped Rock on the shoulder. Electra was scurrying across the open space in front of the Cornucopia. I slowly rose to my feet and inched closer to the golden horn. Rock stayed behind me watching my back. Then Maggie came out of nowhere and stabbed Electra. Electra blindly swung her fists and smacked Maggie square in the nose. She grabbed her face and I could see the blood dripping through her fingers. I winced in sympathy, 

'Welcome to the club.' 

Maggie had a machete clasped in her hands and she stabbed Electra again. Rock leaped up, 

"Lexi! No!" 

He took off towards her. 

"Rock! Don't do that!" I said, but it was too late.

 He had sprinted to Electra's side and was holding his hand up to block Maggie's blow. His severed hand fell to the ground right next to his head. I screamed in horror and the cannon went off. 

 Maggie looked up. "Sage Beatty! You won't face me!" 

I stood up and gripped my trident for what was hopefully the last time, then I approached her. Electra was still groaning on the ground, a huge puddle of blood spreading around her. 

"Let's end this," I stated numbly and Maggie smirked.

 "Alrighty, Let me finish off her first." She stalked over to Electra and lifted up her blade.

 I turned my head away but I still could hear the sickening sound as Electra's head fell to the ground. That sound would haunt me for years. The cannon boomed.

  'At least it was quick.'

Then Maggie's wild eyes fell on me. She had told me that the District 3 boy was crazy, but her grey eyes had taken on the same light, insanity flooding her system. I was so close to going home I could taste the salty air of District 4. Maybe I was insane too. She charged me and I ducked under her arm. The machete went into the soft gold of the Cornucopia like a hot knife through butter. While she was trying to pull it out I ran at her and pinned her to the horn, the handle of the trident pressed to her throat. She clawed at it struggling to breathe and I smiled at her.

 "It's a real shame that District 12 won't have a Victor this year. You came so close." I said and she shoved me back. 

I must have struck a chord because she growled "Don't mock me, Beatty."

 "Don't call me Beatty," I said through gritted teeth and she lunged at me again. 

I wasn't quite quick enough this time and she sent my smaller frame tumbling to the ground. I felt myself try to scream but my damaged vocal cords wouldn't cooperate. I grabbed for anything to give me leverage over her and I came up with a handful of her ponytail. I jerked it down and she went flying off of me. I grabbed my trident from the ground next to me and poised it over her chest. 

"It's over Mags," I said and she smiled. 

"No, it's not." She lunged forward with a knife and sliced the back of my left leg.

 I felt something pop and my leg gave out. A mind-numbing pain exploded throughout my whole body. I couldn't think, couldn't move, all that was, was the pain. My vocal cords still didn't work but I howled and Maggie smirked. 

"It's over 4." 

She rose and held her arms up. 

"All I have to do is wait for you to bleed out and at this rate the end will come very quickly."

 I tried to push myself up by the leg wouldn't support me. I kept crumbling to the ground and she kept laughing. The puddle of blood around me was slowly growing and I began to slip in and out of conciseness. She had her back turned to me. My vision was blurry but I managed to grab the handle of the trident. She was taunting me, her words going over my head but her back was still turned. I wanted to see her face when she realized that she had made a deadly mistake. I drew the trident back and Percy's voice ran through my ears

 "They are just fish Sage, not people. Fish."

"Hey Maggie." I croaked and she turned.

 I let the trident fly. As soon as it left my hand I knew it was true and it sunk into her chest. She looked at me and at the trident now protruding from her chest. 

"But, I was, was, supposed... to go home." she coughed and blood splattered the already bloodsoaked ground. 

"I'm sorry," I said and her body fell to the ground the final cannon blasted.

I collapsed on the bloody salt and all I could feel was pain and guilt. 

The trumpets were what brought me back to reality.

 Then Claudius Templesmith's voice. "Ladies and Gentlemen! The victor of the 73rd Hunger Games! Sage Beatty from District 4!" My eyes rolled back in my head and I passed out again.  

What do you guys think about the final battle? Let me know! I hope you liked it and thank you for reading and voting! It means a lot to me! I don't own the Hunger Games.

All the love❤

Buckaroobelle