Chapter 21

The Final Interview wasn't bad, there wasn't a live audience so it made talking to Caesar a little easier. Thankfully it was over before I knew it and I was on the train headed home to District 4. The train ride was quiet, no one really wanting to make conversation. Finnick and I had said goodbye to Adrain and Lilly when we had boarded the train. Lilly had even given me a hug, a gracious gesture from her. Adrian had hugged me and told me to heal up soon because I had to be ready to wear heels in 6 months for the Victory tour. The last moments in the Capitol ran through my mind as District 10 flew by. People were screaming at me to smile and pose, just like it had been with Finnick when we first got to the Capitol. There was an air of unease though like they were secretly angry that the Games had lacked entertainment and suffering. It was still just as sick as it had always been, but now it seemed more so. Watching people die for entertainment was sickening and killing for it was even worse. 

I had picked over the bookshelves in the train at least three or four times before I found what I wanted. A book on Ancient Rome. I was surprised that Snow allowed things like this on the tribute trains but I flipped through the yellowing pages before I found what I had been looking for. Gladiators, the original Hunger Games. This had to be the origin of them, but these types of death games had happened long before the dark ages. Some had fought animals but most had fought each other, to the death in most cases. While I read I could hear the thrumming of the tracks under the train and I could almost imagine it was the stomping of the crowd outside a Roman coliseum.

Finnick found me in an unresponsive state, absorbed in the books. At home this had not been an uncommon thing, I would go to the library, dig around until I found the old books about the time before the dark ages. 

Finnick shook my shoulder, "Sage, we're home."

 I looked up as the train pulled into the station. The steam was released from the brakes as I grabbed my crutches and stood. 

"Don't worry about the crutches Beatty,"

 "Why?" I asked 

"Someone provided a wheelchair for you, so your arms can be free to hug your family."

 "I don't need it though," I said, a little stronger. 

"It's from Snow, Beatty. If I were you I would get in the damn chair." Finnick snapped, I swallowed, trying to get rid of the lump forming in my throat.

 "Okay," 

I hobbled over to the train door and set the crutches next to me as I sat myself down in the chair. I looked at Finnick, "Happy?"

 He shook his head. "Whatever Snarky." 

The train doors opened in a cloud of steam and I could see my family and the Odairs in the front row of people. I couldn't find Percy though. I could feel Finnick's mood switch from the crabby unpleasant side that I had grown so used to in the past few days, to the fake Capitol facade that he was so known for. I waved as the crowd cheered, happy to have a victor again. In reality, I was someone new to gawk at on the streets. 

Ceder launched herself into my arms as soon as I was within her reach. I hugged her small frame as she shook in my arms. I felt tears streaming down my face as my mother hugged us both, seeming to shelter us like a bird does her chicks. We stayed there, shaking and sobbing on the train platform.

 I felt like something broke in my chest at Ceder's voice, "I didn't think you were going to come home." 

I hugged her tighter, "I'm here now."

Mrs. Odair gave me the keys to my house in Victor's Village. It was a large white two-story with large windows that faced the ocean. We were right next door to the Odair's, which made the girls squeal in delight. My mother and Mrs. Odair were talking in the kitchen, while I hobbled around on my crutches looking for Percy. He hadn't been at the train station or at the house. 

"He's on the beach dear." Mrs. Odair said from the kitchen, I nodded and thanked her. 

The warm salty breeze brought my scattered mind to rest when I saw him sitting in the surf.  I smiled at the sight of him, almost identical to Finnick but with kinder eyes. His red hair shone like copper in the setting sun and was slightly ruffled from the wind. 

"Percy!" I yelled and he looked over his shoulder. 

Even from here, I could see his sea foam eyes.  I waved frantically, expecting him to jump up and greet me but he just turned away. I examined the terrain to get to him, sand with crutches. I started to make my way towards him, but it was when I was about halfway to him that he spoke, 

"Don't even bother, Sage. What do you want?" His voice was cold and it stung like a slap to the face.

"I just came to say hi, I missed you," I said quietly.

 I feared his answer as he turned to look me over. 

"No you didn't, you're a heartless killer that has no right to speak to me." 

I almost stumbled backward at his words, "Fine."

 I turned and made my way back to the house, the tears threatening to spill over. I will not cry for him. Not now and not ever.  

Alrighty, Guys! I think that's a wrap on book 1 of the Saving Sage Series!  Keep your eyes open for the next book it will be called To Save a Victor.  Let me know what you guys think! This has been so much fun to write! I still don't own the Hunger Games!

All the love❤

Buckaroobelle