Chapter 5

This is her "look" in the tribute parade because I am not very good at describing things like make up and hair. 

Lilly had us all dressed and ready by the time that we pulled into the Capitol the next morning. I looked out the window as the train neared and I marveled at the beauty of it. Nestled in what used to be the Rocky Mountains it was truly breathtaking. As we got closer I started to get uneasy, and soon we got to the point where there were crowds gathering around the tracks when I realized why they made me so uneasy. They didn't look like people, more like a flock of strange birds. They were all waving so I edged up to the glass and waved back. I figured that I may as well take Finnick's advice and make friends while I could.

Soon the train came to a stop in front of the Remake center and Finnick, Ash, Rock and I got out and made our way through the crowd to the elevator. I felt someone touch my shoulder and another hand grazed my hip. I shuttered at their touches, and Finnick soon came to my rescue while he was dodging questions from reporters and fans, 

"Finnick! How do you feel about both your sister and brother being drawn at the reaping?" "Finnick, who are you wearing?" "Finnick, is this your brother's girlfriend?" "Finnick, is this your girlfriend?" "Finnick," this and "Finnick," that. 

It blew my mind. Especially the idea that they thought that I was his girlfriend. I was literally his tribute.

  "How do you deal with these people?" I asked him once we were safe inside the elevator. Separate from Rock might I add.

 "I don't" was his simple response and we continued the rest of the elevator ride in silence. He didn't say a word until he handed me off to my prep team 10 minutes later.

When my stylist, a young man named Adrian, came to look at me about 2 hours of scrubbing, buffing, and plucking later I had never felt more exposed, and I was cold. He smiled at me when I made a comment about the fact that I was cold. Especially funny since I was naked. I had never been naked in front of a man that wasn't my father before and I didn't like it. Especially since Adrian could only be 19 or 20. The only physical alteration that I could see were the tattoos that covered his arms and chest.

 "Alright," he said and gestured for me to put my robe on. I tried not to grab it too quickly but I felt myself hurriedly covering myself despite my efforts.

 "Come sit," he said, gesturing to the couch across from him and I sat. He put his elbows on the table and folded his hands, which were adorned with heavy looking rings. 

"I think I'm going to go with my gut on this one," Please don't make me be naked, please not naked. "You are going to be in a type of bodysuit situation." Oh hallelujah  He smiled at the look of evident relief spreading across my features. 

"You thought I was going to make you be naked, didn't you?"

 I laughed "Maybe a little."

 "Don't worry, I wouldn't do that.

"I nodded, "Thank you," 

He stood up and came back with a comb and spray bottle.

 "I'm going to do your hair, because I have an idea that the prep team can't pull off." 

I smiled as he brushed my hair. Soon the prep team came in and started on my makeup and nails. It took them about three hours but they managed. Adrian had my hair pulled back in a type of net looking braid that fell down my back. The prep team had done a black and green shade on my whole face, with deep contours and highlights. On my eyelids there was some form of glitter and in the corners of my eyes there was white. They had painted on black and gold scales.  Across my body they had painted more patches of scales and more glitter. They finished their work by painting my lips a dark black and glued a silver dot right at the bow of my lips.

 "We were going to change your eye color but yours is perfect for this." one of them said, she had purple eyes and skin to match. I started calling her Purple in my head.

 The man, at least I thought he was a man, he had so many cosmetic alterations that it was hard to tell, clapped his hands. "Yes dear, your eyes are so perfect for this, but they are almost creepy though." 

I looked in the mirror and observed myself closer. I didn't look human, more like something that just crawled from the deepest reaches of the sea. I tipped my black lips up into a smile and the prep team squealed.

 "It's everything I could have hoped for." They squealed and Adrian showed them out before handing me a bag that I could only assume held my costume before he stepped out of the room to let me change. The bag held a dark shiny green bodysuit. I stepped into it, it fit like a really skimpy one piece swimsuit, with a low back but it covered me in the front to my neck. I dug around in the bag and pulled out a pair of black knee high high heeled boots. I pulled them on to find that they fit like a glove. I stood in front of the full body mirror. I didn't look like myself but I wasn't mad about it. I looked like an oily black sea creature from nightmares. Scary, Adrain was trying to make me look scary and it was working. Heaven forbid mom ever sees me in this, I thought before Adrian cracked the door open,

 "Are you ready?" I nodded and he smiled, 

"You look good."

 "Thank you" I said and took a wobbly step towards the door. 

"Put your shoulders back and strut." Adrian said and I found myself able to walk without looking like an idiot.

We walked into the bottom floor of the remake center where we were met by Finnick and Ash. Finnick looked me up and down.

 "Damn, you look hot."

 I punched him. 

"Sorry, Rock is on his way down. Sage, I want you to wave and really milk the crowd. Wave, blow kisses, the whole package. You got it?"

 I nodded. 

"Ah there's Rock," Ash said and I looked to where she was gesturing. All of a sudden I was glad that I wasn't him. He was in a black speedo, made out of the same material that my jumpsuit was. His prep team had put scales on him too but down on his pelvic bones, and on his face too. I snorted and he glared at me,

 "Cork it Beatty."

 "Sorry"

 To someone who wanted to see him in a speedo his outfit would have been great, it showed off his physical beauty which he wasn't lacking. He would be very popular in the capitol with his black hair and blue eyes, he made every girl in District 4 swoon, except for me which is why it miffed him that I was here with him and not one of his many girlfriends. It also made it easier for him to kill me without any guilt. I felt eyes on my back, more like my backside and turned around to see the boy from 2 looking at me like a piece of meat. I caught his eye and winked at him. He flashed me a big smile and gestured to what he was wearing, a gold kilt situation, and rolled his eyes. I laughed and pointed to my getup and shook my head mouthing, 'I think I win.'  he chuckled and our little exchange was interrupted by a voice over the loudspeaker announcing for the tributes to mount up. Rock and I stepped on to our chariot, pulled by two Palomino horses and he muttered something about feeling stupid and I looked down at my boots. District 2 came by us pulled by their sorrel team and the boy blew me a kiss. I mimed catching it and putting it in my pocket and he blushed. I could play with him as much as I wanted, I could pretend to be a ditsy flirt who didn't know crap and then kill them all. The only one who might see through it was Rock, but he didn't know me that well, so it could work. I would have to pitch the idea to Finnick when we got to the tribute center. Our chariot lurched forward and we started to roll. I could hear the crowd chanting and we rolled into the streets of the Capitol.

Hey guys, I hope you like this chapter. I still suck at author's notes but its alright. I don't own the Hunger Games. 

All the Love

❤Buckaroobelle