~PROLOGUE~

(edited: 14

(edited: 14.08.2022)

GREEN was all that I could see, as the car sped through the curves of the Forks road. My head bumped slightly against the glass as I stared out at the forest, lost in my thoughts.

"You alright there, honey?" mom questioned, glancing at me through the rearview mirror.

I nodded, responding "Yeah, just thinking."

"Better be thinking about what you want for dinner, since we've been waiting for a response since yesterday." dad pointed out with a small grin, knowing fully well that I always had trouble choosing.

Groaning, I dramatically ran my hand down my face "Your questions are far too demanding."

Both of my parents chuckled and shared a look, before my mom spoke up "How about we get some take out? It's been a while since we got some."

"Trying to get away from my cooking Helen?" dad asked, gently pulling on mom's dark hair.

Before she could respond, I leaned in between the two of them and joked "Nah, mom's just using me as a means to achieving some guiltless fast food."

Dad laughed with me, while mom rolled her eyes at us "Yes, yes you got me. So. Pizza?"

"Pizza sounds good." dad agreed, with a smile.

"So now, you'll just have to figure out what kind of pizza you want." mom added with a teasing grin.

"I think that I can manage that much." I responded, before going back to staring out of the window. The forest was foggy, so not much to see there, but the sky was covered in dark clouds making it obvious that a storm was coming.

"I think there's a storm coming." I still mumbled, catching my mom's dark eyes in the rearview mirror.

She nodded and glanced at my dad "She's right, you'll have to get the furniture from the garden secured."

"Mhm. Thea, you'll help me while your mom orders dinner." her dad stated, just as we rode into the driveway.

I sighed but nodded "Okay, just let me get changed."

"No rush, honey." he responded just before exiting the car, with me and mom following.

Mom looked around at the sky, shrugging "Maybe a little bit of a rush, Thea. It looks like a fucking hurricane is coming."

"Helen!" dad scolded, sending his wife a disapproving look.

"Oh come on Pete! Kids her age are saying worse things at school." mom replied with a shrug.

"That's not the point!" he stressed, his cheeks turning so red that they nearly matched his bright red hair.

I stayed back, as they walked towards the house while arguing. Well, mom was actually quietly laughing as dad went off, although without any heat behind his words. I shook my head and smiled to myself, here they go again. Constantly arguing over the smallest of things, yet still looking at each other with love that I was inspired to find someday.