eleven. blinding lights

sarah's pov.

i looked a the pile of clothes on my bed, random pieces scattered around. my eyes trailed over my body as i turned and looked at it through the body length mirror, deciding i was finished getting ready.

"sarah, shawn's here!" sophie shouted from the living room. i smiled to myself and grabbed my phone and wristlet, taking one last look in the mirror before i left my bedroom, switching off the lights.

i made my way into the main room, finding shawn standing by the kitchen island, scrolling through his phone as he waited. "hi shawny." i announces in a sing songy tone, slipping towards him and pressing a soft kiss on his cheek.

he smiled and slid his phone into the pocket of his hoodie, turning his full attention to me. "hi seerah." he replied, placing both of his hands on my hips and pulling me into a sweet kiss.

"can y'all like get the fuck out now?" clara interrupted as she walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge, looking for something to eat. shawn and i laughed, nodding as we said our goodbyes to the girls.

the drive to the beach wasn't silent, but wasn't too talkative. it was peaceful. comfortable. we made a quick stop at whole foods and grabbed some things for us to snack on while we were there.

even from only knowing shawn for a short period of time, i could tell how big of a impact he was going to make in my life. something inside is telling me what we have will keep us together forever, and i found peace in that.

the jeep abruptly came to a stop, signaling we were here. shawn jumped out and ran over to my side, holding the door for me. i climbed out and watched him shut the door, grabbing ahold of my hand as we walked down to the water.

for some reason, we wanted to go sit on the beach, have a picnic, and watch the sunset for our date. he doesn't realize it, but this date genuinely means so much to me, the beach being my favorite place and all.

we found a spot to sit on, laying down our blanket and sitting down, opening our bag of food. i pulled out our sushi as shawn attempted to open a bottle of white wine.

"did you bring a wine opener?" i questioned, a small smile tugging on my lips as he obviously struggled with opening the bottle. he shook his head no as he grabbing his car keep and twisted it into the cork, then pulling it up.

after many tries from the both of us, he finally got it open, a bit of wine spilling out onto the blanket, the two of us erupting into laughter.

before we started eating, i reached into the bag and grabbed my red polaroid camera, turning it on and pointing it towards the gorgeous sunset in front of us. after the click sounded, i pulled it down, placing my fingers on the film as it slowly released from the camera. i quickly shook the thing film, watching as the picture slowly revealed.

i set down the camera and picked up one of the boxes of sushi and opened it, immediately picking one of the small rolls up and shoving it in my mouth. i kept my eyes on the pinkish sky, hearing the waves crash against the water.

we talked for what seemed like two hours, watching as she sky turned from bright, warm colors to dark, cool colors, making everything around us grow quiet.

i sat between shawn's legs with my back leaning against his chest, his arms tightly wrapped around me as we took in the sounds of the waves and emptiness coming from in front of us.

"where do you see yourself five years from now?" shawn asked. i could tell he was relaxed, his voice coming out soft and gentle. "um, probably married with at least one or two kids. i want at least three in the end. i want to be out of los angeles, not in a big city or anything. i want to start my family in a loving home, not an apartment or mansion with a bunch of roommates." i honestly answered.

our bodies stayed glued together as he took in the information, feeling his head nod from above me. "what about you?" i asked. a sigh came from his lips as he started. "i want the exact same thing, but with you in it."

my heart swelled at his answer, thanking god that it was dark out and he couldn't see my bright red cheeks.

i turned around in his arms and glanced up into his eyes, the light brown orbs staring back into mine. "i was gonna say that, but i didn't want to scare you." i giggled, making him laugh.

my head suddenly started swirling with thoughts, one certain thought popping up multiple times. "shawn?" i whispered, waiting for his answer. "mhm?" he mumbled, his eyes staying planted on the endless view in front of us.

"i have to tell you something." i started, looking down my my knees as i pulled them against my chest. his arms stiffened around me, clearly scared for what was about to come.

"i lied to you when i first met you and said that the girls and i were always friends. in middle school, we had a falling out and weren't friends through most of it. i started having these weird dreams about this guy and they thought i was crazy. we didn't reconnect until eighth grade." i informed him, my head actually starting to hurt from thinking.

"honey, that's not a big deal, it's okay. nothing to be worried about." he says, his arms starting to loosen up again. i shook my head, knowing that it was wrong of me by keeping that from him, even if it was just a small detail about my past.

he suddenly shook his head and looked down at the sand next to us, obvious thoughts were going around in his head. "sarah, i want you to know what i feel for you is real. what we have is real." he exclaimed, his eyes staying on me till i answered him.

he reached for a brown napkin from the bag, taking out a blue market with it. he opened it and started writing something on it, handing it to me when he was done.

as long as i live, my love you will be

"this is all real." i replied, smiling up at him and gently pressing my lips to his, his lips curving into a smile midway through.

it's all real.

after shawn dropped me back off at home, i entered the completely silent apartment, never being this calm. "paige? clara? sophie?" i called out, not a single voice replying back.

they must all be out and staying with their boyfriends. shawn was going to stay the night, but had to be up earlier than usual tomorrow morning for his flight to jamaica with his team to finish the album.

i groaned to myself at the thought of him leaving, meaning i wouldn't be able to se whim till monday afternoon.

i made my way into my bedroom and stripped out of my clothes and stepping into the shower, rinsing off any leftover sand on my body.

i climbed out and slipped on one of shawn's large black hoodies and a pair of his boxer shorts, doing my nightly routine, climbing into bed right after.

i texted shawn goodnight and turned off my phone, setting it next to me on my bed as i stared up at my ceiling fan and watched as it swirled, cool air surrounding me. the world seemed quiet tonight, somewhat comforting to me.

i rolled over onto my side and stared out my window overlooking the city, noticing all the blinding lights and buildings surrounding us. i sighed in content and smiled to myself, realizing how good life just got.

my phone made a small buzzing sound, vibrations flowing through my blanket. i glanced down at the phone screen from next to me and saw shawn texted me back.

shawn: goodnight, sarah grace. this is all real.❤️

a smile remained on my face as returned my gaze back to my window, my eyes slowly closing shut, my surrounding slowly fading into complete darkness.