Chapter 4: Recess

During recess, Mason and his friends were sitting on the hill while everyone else was on the blacktop.

"So, Mason. What did Lexi say to you about this time?" Kardierre asked.

"She just grilled us on goofing off," said Finn. "She's really changed, huh, Mason?"

"Yeah.."

"Oh no," Essence groaned.

The teens turned to see three other teens walking towards them.

"What do these guys want?" Finn said.

"Mason Scott, that was some show you put on this morning," said one of the boys, Sam Madden.

"What do you need, Sam?" Mason asked.

"Nothing. Just seeing if you guys are up for Comedy Night tonight."

"Yeah we are, Sam. You know we wouldn't miss it," said Finn.

"Finn, the only reason why you wanna go is so you can compete in Wheel of Torture," Mason said.

"So, why not?" Sam butted in. "Scared to lose?"

"No, I just don't want to see anyone get hurt," Mason answered.

"Since when did you become soft like Kasapis?"

"I mean, Lexi?"

"Lexi is not soft, she's an excellent protector...like one time, she protected you from getting beat by that one kid, Jerome."

"Twice," Finn chimed in.

"And that was when we were sixth graders," Kardierre added.

"I didn't need her help...so, are you coming or what, Scott?"

"We'll be there."

"Yeah, to play Wheel of Torture,"

"Can't wait." And with that Sam and his friends left the teens alone.

"Well, I guess this means you guys are gonna play Wheel of Torture," said Kardierre.

"Don't sweat it, man," Finn said. "I've studied this game since seventh grade. All you have to do is listen to me."

"That's a first," Essence snarked.

They heard the bell ring from inside and the eighth graders went inside for the rest of school.