Chapter 9: Mason the New Protector

Mason was walking to his locker when he heard Finn calling his name.

"Mason," Finn said. "Mason!"

"Hey, Finn."

"Mason, you gotta come to the auditorium...now."

"Why?"

"CONGRATULATIONS!!"

In the auditorium, students cheered when Mason walked in. He looked at Finn confused, who was trying to hide his face when Mason flared at him. Later, Mason was talking to Lexi in between classes.

"Protector? Why am I protector? I don't protect. I mean, not saying This shouldn't be my responsibility."

"It's just until I'm on my feet again," said Lexi.

"But, I can't do this."

"It's easy. All you have to do is watch the school for any weird activity and try not to get killed. Besides, the zombies won't hunt unless they feel like it."

"That's the least of my problems."

"I gotta get to class. Good luck, Mason."

When she left, Mason spotted Finn walking to class but turned around when he saw Mason.

"Finn! Don't move."

"Hey, bro," Finn said sheepishly. "How's it going?"

"Why did you do it? Thanks to you, I'm now responsible and the zombies would be coming after me."

I know, but listen. Everyone here depends on you, right? So, I had to say something. You're our only hope."

"But I don't know how to be protector."

"To be honest, bro, I don't know either. But if you don't protect these young lives...you're gonna lose them, Mason."

Finn walks to class, leaving Mason in the quiet hallway.