Chapter 14: Calia's Deal

It was 1:15 in the morning. Comedy Night was and all of the students were at home. Mason and Lexi were still on the roof of the school. Mason was asleep when he heard creaking coming from the parking lot gate. He looked up and saw nothing. Then, he heard rustling coming from the dumpster and started get up when he accidentally woke up Lexi.

"Mason..." she groaned.

"Ssh...it's alright," he whispered. "I'm just gonna check on something. Just stay here and I'll be back. Okay?"

"Okay."

"Stay here." Mason pulls the blanket over Lexi and began to climb down from the roof. As he reached the ground, he went over to see what was in the dumpster. When he lift the lid, he didn't see anything. He then went to look around the school.

Suddenly, a male zombie jumped out from the tree and pounced on Mason. Mason pushed him off and ran to the side of the building. He began to climb up to the roof when he looked back and saw three zombies climbing after him. When he reached the top, he ran over to Lexi.

"Lexi!" Mason said frantically. "Lexi, wake up!"

"What? What is it?"

"We're under attack!"

Suddenly, Mason and Lexi were surrounded by five zombies. One leaped after Lexi, but Mason grabbed him and threw him off the roof. A second zombie pounced at Mason and Mason caught him by the neck and threw him on the ground and crushed his head with his foot. Then, Mason threw his backpack on a third zombie, causing it to stumble into another zombie.

Suddenly, Calia jumped onto his back and tried to bite him, but Mason pulled her off and held his backpack over his head, ready to crush Calia to her death.

"Go ahead. Kill me. I mean, you are the new protector, right? What are you waiting for?"

"Mason! Don't listen to her!"

"Come on, Mason. You know you want to. I dare you."

Mason thinks for a moment and drops his backpack on the ground. Calia smirks.

"I knew you couldn't do it," she said with a chortle. Lexi stands up and hops over to Mason. "Aw, don't tell that I interrupted a...tender moment..."

Mason stands in front of Lexi. "What do you want, Calia?"

"A truce..." She begins to circle around them, like a wolf sizing its prey. "...to call off this whole feud between us."

Lexi and Mason look at each other confused.

"What's the catch?"

"No catch. I just felt bad for breaking Lexi's leg and I wanted to ask for your forgiveness for the...incident we had."

"So, you won't bother Miller South anymore?"

" 'bother Miller South' I wouldn't come within 10 feet of the neighborhood..." She stops in front of him. "So...so we have a deal?"

"Mason, don't do it," Lexi warned.

"Don't worry," he whispered. "You promised to not mess with Miller South again?"

"Would I lie to you?" Calia asked.

Mason thought for a moment then said: "Alright, but remember...stay away."

"Whatever you say."

Calia then ordered two of her zombies and they departed from the school. Later, Mason carried Lexi to her house.

"Sorry that I kept you out this late."

"It's fine...but I'm a little worried."

"About the zombies? Don't worry."

"But what if they're lying?"

"I'll tell you what? I'll talk to the guys and we'll all be on watch."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive. And don't worry. We will be focused and ready."

"Okay. By the way...thanks for bringing the book."

"I'm glad I still have it," Mason said with a chuckle. This makes Lexi chuckle as well.

"Good night."

"Night."

And with that, Mason began to walk home while Lexi walked into hers.