chapter ii

SIERRA WAS STARTING TO GET VERY ANNOYED WITH THALIA GRACE. Honestly, she'd never known the girl, but she figured a daughter of Zeus should have been much more resilient than she was currently displaying. Still, she couldn't blame Thalia, the girl, wasn't really a girl, and she didn't know if godly parentage transferred over when one became foliage.

Still, the colchis bulls weren't exactly a treat. Sure, Sierra got an adrenaline high like no other from any kind of fighting. In fact she often debated why one needed heroine when sword fighting was an option with her siblings. But even she'd had enough at this point, and there was no end in sight. Besides, several campers running around in a panic because they were literally on fire, wasn't exactly a productive way to do battle.

There was also the matter of there not being one, but two of the bronze monsters who just would, not, die. Could machines die? Not the important question but still a valid one. Clarisse had broken her spear in one's joint, Sierra had been forced to throw her helmet on the ground as the smoking plume was now black instead of red and had been slow cooking her brain.

Sierra was trying to find a weak spot while Clarisse was distracting the beast, but it didn't seem to have one. Sierra jabbed the point into the knee joint of one of its legs and the limb locked up. Still, even with a leg it couldn't bend, the bull managed to continue running about, setting campers of fire and generally being very uncooperative in their efforts to kill it.

"Border Patrol, to me!" Clarisse shouted after the failed attempt. There were supposed to only be ten campers on patrol duty at once. Sierra was sharing the duties of leading the Ares kid's patrol with Clarisse and had been coming up for a shift change when the bulls attacked. Thankfully, the two girls were both absolutely terrifying to fight against on their own, no one knew quite why, but something about their shared parentage or both being senior campers made them unbeatable when put together. Clarisse was a brutal force that took down anything in her path easily, and Sierra was violent to an end but also had a skilled mind in strategy. Together, it was more than a little scary to watch them fight, and they needed that now more than ever.

Six of her ten campers rallied to Clarisse's side along with Sierra, all trying to form a Phalanx formation, shields locked with spears overhead like an armored porcupine. Sierra's spear was still embedded in one bull's leg but she braced her shield all the same. One of the bulls, slightly bigger than its brother charged straight at the line.

"Hold the line!" Clarisse commanded, right as it blew a large column of fiery (fresh off the godly conveyor belt) fury straight at them. The fire heated the metal of the shields but was just out reach to make them melt.

Someone shouted, "behind you! look out!" And broke Clarisse's concentration just long enough for the first bull to slam full force into the shields and shatter the line. Sierra went flying and landed on her back, staring up at the sky in a fair amount of confusion. With a groan of pain at what was probably at least a fracture in her rib she pulled herself to standing just in time to see Percy Jackson drag Clarisse by her armor straps out of the path of one of the bulls.