chapter xii

JUST BECAUSE SIERRA WAS GETTING USED TO THALIA AND ZOE'S BICKERING, DID NOT MEAN IT WASN'T DRIVING HER CRAZY. The group had joined her in the gas station by the time she exited the restroom.

"Do we have a plan?" Sierra asked Zoe, and the huntress studied her for a moment before answering. She was probably annoyed Sierra wasn't taking this as seriously as she was. The detour into the gas station wasn't planned and Zoe was probably imagining it would mean Artemis' death they were less than an hour slower than they had been.

"Washington D.C." Zoe said. Thalia frowned.

"Grover's tracking spell right?" Zoe nodded as they all walked out the doors. "How do we know it worked? I mean, Grover, are you sure?" Thalia asked.

"Well, pretty sure. Ninety-nine percent. Okay, eighty-five percent." Grover said, the decreasing percentages not exactly inspiring confidence.

"And you did this with acorns?" Bianca asked, like she couldn't believe it. 

"It's a time-honored tracking spell. I mean, I'm pretty sure I did it right." There was that pretty sure again.

"D.C. is about sixty miles from here," Bianca said. "Nico and I," she frowned. "We used to live there. That's - that's strange. I'd forgotten."

"I dislike this," Zoe said. "We should go straight west. The prophecy said west."

"Oh, like your tracking skills are better?" Thalia growled.

Zoe stepped toward her. "You challenge my skills, you scullion? You know nothing of being a Hunter!"

"Oh, scullion You're calling me a scullion? What the heck is a scullion?" Thalia snapped back.

"Whoa, you two," Grover said, sounding tired. "Come on. Not again!"

"Grover's right," Bianca said. "D.C. is our best bet."

Zoe didn't look convinced, but she nodded reluctantly. "Very well. Let us keep moving."

"You're going to get us arrested, driving," Thalia grumbled. "I look closer to sixteen than you do, hell Sierra does." Sierra wasn't sure if that was an insult or a compliment but she didn't really care, she had other things on her mind as she scanned the lot.

"Perhaps," Zoe snapped. "But I have been driving since automobiles were invented. Let us go."

"Wait," Sierra said, and they all stopped as she narrowed her eyes. "Something's wrong," her voice was faint, less about telling them more a subconsciously announced thought as she stepped away from the van. Thalia caught her arm.

"If something's wrong we should go," the daughter of Zeus reasoned, and Sierra pulled her leather jacket clad arm from her charge's grip.

"Maybe," Sierra consented, but her eyes hovered in one particular spot. It sounded insane, but she swore she saw the air shift. But she couldn't have. She shook off the strange feeling and climbed into the van.