chapter xxviii

"WHAT HAPPENED TO ONLY FOUR NIGHT SHIFTS A WEEK?" Was the only recognition Sierra got as she left her cabin to go pick up Sherman's shift after dinner. It wasn't even genuine concern, but Mia who just wanted to get away from Ellis' death glare. After he'd gotten over the humor of it, he realized Mia had incapacitated his sparring partner and gotten appropriately annoyed at his sister. Consequently Mia wanted out, unfortunately for her, she'd pulled four night shifts already that week and Sierra was not about to let her pull another one.

"Well, you broke Sherman so now I'm pulling his shift," Sierra snapped back. She was pissed off beyond tartarus about the whole thing and didn't need Mia's whinging. Mia shut up and Sierra marched out of the cabin and up halfblood hill to find Annabeth already there.

"Hey," she said as Sierra came to stand next to her.

"Hey," Sierra replied, and they stood in silence for a few seconds, just watching the woods.

"Tyson left," Annabeth said, and Sierra nodded. "Cyclops forges, something about an internship. Andy started crying."

"She's always crying," Sierra pointed out, Annabeth just shrugged. Can't argue with the truth, no matter how insulting.

"Are you staying at camp for the school year?" This was a question Sierra herself had been pondering. Protecting Andy and Percy was easy while they were within the camp boundaries, especially with the recent strengthening of Thalia's tree beyond even what it was prior. But school, that was another story. Not to mention Andy was homeschooled and Percy actually went to an academy. Having the two of them in different places at different times wasn't going to make her life easy. She wondered again for about the millionth time how Percy was expected to save the world if he needed a body guard to make it through life. And like she always did when she settled on that question, she came to the same conclusion.

Her job, wasn't the physical dangers. Sure, she had no doubt she'd be killing any number of monsters to keep the Jackson kids safe but she didn't think that was her real purpose. 

Andy was too smiley, optimistic. She saw everything through rose colored glasses and with an insistence that no matter what everything would work its way to sunshine and rainbows in the end. But coupled with that was her dangerous temper. Sierra hadn't known about it beyond the legends of the potential for Poseidon kids anger before their encounter with Luke in Miami. She'd gotten a little too angry and scared and suddenly she was about to drown the entire state and her friends with no control. If Percy hadn't intervened Sierra doubted anything could have stopped her. Despite the potential as a defense mechanism, if Andy made too big an earthquake and lost control like she had, she could end up killing herself. Her power over the ocean was safer because she could breathe underwater, but beyond earthquakes, the earth was still Hades territory and could kill her easily.