chapter vi

SIERRA DIDN'T LIKE SNOW. She didn't exactly hate it, but she preferred the sun. It was the one thing she missed from her little condo in California, the one she'd lived in from two to four and was the only truly happy place she could remember. She wished that was the house she still owned. Instead, her mother had sold that one when they moved back to Detroit. She still owned the Detroit house, but she wouldn't go back there with a gun to her head.

The camp was depressingly vacant as they trudged through it, towing Nico behind them towards the big house. Percy was still staring at Sierra, she could feel his eyes on her, not that she blamed him.

It hadn't helped that before Apollo had flown off he'd told Sierra that she was "so much like your father. You better listen to your brothers. Anger, it's a dangerous thing." Then he'd shot off in his stupid Maserati sun chariot leaving Sierra to Percy's wide eyed terror. She understood it, she'd changed, maybe too much, in the last few months. That didn't mean she liked that he was looking at her like she was ghost.

Nico kept asking questions as Sierra led the march through camp. She was honestly hoping to catch sight of Sherman. She'd kill for a sparring match right now and with Clarisse out of town Sherman was the second best swordsmen in camp.

She needed to hit something, hard, and preferably that something would be alive. And related to her by blood. There was something about hitting her siblings that was always that much more satisfying. Maybe cause they got on her nerves so much.

The fairy lights were still up. Glowing balls of fire that put off heat and light but didn't burn anything. They hung from each cabin, all glowing their respective colors. The only cabin without them was Apollo cabin because the entire thing glowed gold and put off heat on its own from its connection to the sun. The inside was always stiflingly warm but the Apollo kids never seemed to notice.

Chiron was on the porch when they approached. He seemed rather laid back, his equine body in his wheelchair at the moment. He looked relieved when he saw Sierra.

"Sierra, we'd begun to worry." Yah, that was Clarisse's and her fault.

"We didn't want to risk iris messages. Figured alerting Luke we were on our own probably wasn't smart. Clarisse is fine though, but uh, we should talk." Her voice fell lower at the end as she remembered what she and her sister had discovered. Chiron nodded and she stepped to the side, letting Percy give his own report.

"Ah, and this must be—"

"Nico di Angelo," Percy said. "He and his sister are half-bloods."

Chiron breathed a sigh of relief. "You succeeded, then."

"Well . . . "

His smile melted. "What's wrong? And where are Andy and Annabeth?"

"Oh, dear," Mr. D said in a bored voice, "Not more lost."