chapter xiii

SIERRA HAD NEVER REALLY UNDERSTOOD HER OWN MIND. It thought of the strangest things at the oddest times. Like now, when she should have been focussed on the impending battle she could feel the approach of in her bones. Or that her sister was missing and despite her better instincts, possibly dead. Maybe even that Andy was also gone and she could see it weighing on Percy and that, despite everything she knew she should believe, she didn't hate him or want him to die from being unfocussed in a fight.

Instead, she was focussed on pulling the brown extensions out of her hair and when exactly the magic charm that had turned the actual strands brown would fade and they'd return to red. It was probably polluting but she thought it was weird to leave a pile of hair extensions on the ship, so she threw them overboard, into the water. Percy glared at her but she ignored it, instead, focussing on them for a moment, trying something she doubted would work. It didn't, but she wasn't discouraged.

"You know," Percy said, walking over to her, "I'm not the environmentalist of the two of us, but I can assure you, Andy would give you a three hour lecture on why that's is all kinds of wrong if she were here." Sierra rolled her eyes but turned to face him.

"And I would punch her in reply," she assured, and Percy huffed a laugh.

"I'm sure you would," he said, and his face dropped, only for a moment, but it was there.

"I'm sure she's fine," Sierra said, and he turned to look at her with a frown. "She's probably with Clarisse, and Zeus knows my sister wouldn't die by boat explosion. She's too stubborn," Percy nodded, smiling lightly as he turned back to the water. Annabeth was below, trying to get in a few hours of sleep, but Sierra almost wished the blonde would come back up. She wasn't good at heart to hearts and she had a feeling that was what Percy needed right now, someone to assure him his sister was fine and that he would see her again.

"I keep debating," he spoke finally, "I can control the boat here, and the water is helping move us along, but neither of us could earlier. We can't drown in normal water, but I'm wondering if maybe the sea of monsters is different." Sierra frowned, eyes focussing on the horizon where a volcano oozed red and orange magma and made loud booming noises announcing it as a forge of Hephaestus.

"The fates are cruel," Sierra answered, "but I don't think even they would kill a child of Poseidon in the water." That didn't seem to dissuade his fear, but she was trying damnit, and she was never emotionally open, it wasn't like she actually knew what she was doing.

"That might be the nicest thing you've ever said to me," he admitted, and Sierra frowned.

"How was that nice to you?" She asked, and he shrugged.

"It was an attempt at comfort," she frowned, but nodded, and Percy sighed heavily as the boat curved to keep the gap between them and the forge wide. "At Circe's," Percy said suddenly, "thank you," she nodded.