chapter xi

AS SOON AS THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT AT THE ENTRANCE WAS NICE TO THEM, SIERRA KNEW THE PLACE HAD TO BE A TRAP. No one, not even mortals, had ever been kind to Sierra at first meeting. Sleazy? Sure. Grabby? Most definitely. But nice? No, that was just wrong on a thousand levels. It might have been her war god DNA, or maybe she just had a flashing sign above her head. DAMAGED AND TOO MUCH TROUBLE, MOVE ALONG. But whenever someone met her for the first time, they always had an aura of wanting to run as far and as fast as possible.

But Ms. Flight attendant in her crisp blue suit with pristine makeup and hair was all smiles as they pulled up to the shore in their dejected life raft. "Welcome!" She chirped. 

Sierra didn't want to take her eyes off the woman, so she kept flicking back to her as she scanned the port. It was a weird assortment that could only be found in a place where ships constantly got lost. There were a bunch of pleasure yachts, a U.S. Navy submarine, several dugout canoes, and an old-fashioned three-masted sailing ship. There was also a helipad with a Channel Five Fort Lauderdale helicopter on it, and a short runway with a Learjet and a propeller plane that looked like a World War II fighter. Sierra thought they might be replicas, but a tug in her gut told her those planes had seen battle, that sub had fired torpedos. They'd been through a battle, and somehow ended up eternally trapped on a tropical paradise. It made her sick.

"Is this your first time with us?" The flight attendant asked, and Sierra wanted to snap that they weren't staying so it didn't matter. "First time at spa," the lady said, writing it down on her clipboard, "let's see." She looked at each of the demigods quickly, "Mmm, An herbal wrap to start for the blonde young lady, some extensions for the uh, red head," she said red head like it physically pained her to call attention to Sierra's, admittedly, shitty dye job. "And of course, a complete makeover for the young gentleman." She carried on, much more comfortable insulting Percy.

"A what?" Percy asked, sounding miffed.

"Right!" She ignored him with a smile, "Well, I'm sure C.C. will want to speak with you personally before the luau. Come, please." Now, Sierra knew it was a trap, and she figured Annabeth being a literal daughter of wisdom knew it to. She couldn't vouch for Percy as she was pretty sure he was an idiot, though he was becoming more and more bearable the longer she spent with him. But the two of them followed the woman anyways, leaving Sierra with very few options. She cast one last look at the submarine, and swore for a second there was someone on board waving her hands in a 'stop in the name of everything good in the world' gesture. But Sierra blinked and she was gone, so she turned, and jogged to catch up.

"It couldn't hurt," she heard Annabeth mutter.

"Yes it can," Sierra said, but they kept walking anyways. Even in Sierra's defensive head space, she had to admit, the place was amazing. There was white marble and blue water everywhere. Terraces climbed up the side of the mountain, with swimming pools on every level, connected by watersides and waterfalls and underwater tubes people could swim through. Fountains sprayed water into the air, forming impossible shapes, like flying eagles and galloping horses.