chapter xv

THE THING PEOPLE NEVER REALLY CONSIDER ABOUT BEING HOMELESS, IS THAT IT'S NOT ALWAYS AN ACCIDENT. Sure, there are plenty of people who blow all their cash on drugs or other not great uses for it. There are people who sell their house to feed their alcoholism. There are definitely homeless teens out there who have been kicked out of their parents house for a whole bunch of shit they can't control.

But there are some, who don't like living indoors. There are some, like Fern Davis, who simply love the outdoors and want to live in them. There are also those like Fern who hated their home and so running away to 'live among the woodland creatures' seemed like the best option.

Honestly though. If you could hear it when the trees screamed and sobbed as your foster father, a freaking lumberjack, sawed them down, you'd run away too. Fern didn't really mind living alone and in the woods either. It was a rather happy situation for her personally.

Fern liked living on the run. Not normal she was fully aware, but still, she was happier on her own than she ever had been since her father died and sent her into the spiral that is known as foster care. Besides, it wasn't like any of her foster families had really given her a reason to stay.

So, six homes, and six times running later, Fern finally lost the care system. Usually she stuck to the forests because, well, cities made her nervous. Too many people, not enough nature, and she got really freaked out when she wasn't around any type of plant life. Her asthma acted up and she tended to have more anxiety attacks. Not exactly great when she couldn't renew her inhaler because that required ID and a prescription. She had neither.

Still, she couldn't deny that something had pulled her here. She couldn't be sure what it was exactly, but she knew the instinct well. It was the same one that had told her to leave that deer alone in the Canadian wilderness last year, despite it being stuck in a net. The same one that had told her that gas station wasn't a good choice for food an hour before she saw a news story saying it had blown up.

The same one that had told her that the prettiest girl she'd ever seen at that bridge in Missouri, was not someone she should approach. Then again, that might have been more due to the fact she was holding a knife and those stormy grey eyes, while beautiful, were filled with a malice and anger Fern knew better than to approach. Still, the blonde haunted her. Especially recently, like last night, when her subconscious had somehow created a weird dream of her holding up a cave ceiling.

Fern usually dismissed her dreams. ( unicorns flying through clouds weren't something she classified as an insightful vision of her future ). But something about this dream had seemed all too real. And it was the instinct that told her it was real, that told her to get on the train.

That and her fellow homeless person but she chose to ignore him because while some people she met on the streets were nice people, most were not. She might have been the kind of person to smile a lot and a never ending optimist, but she wasn't stupid.