chapter ix

SIERRA AND CLARISSE WERE NOT CO-COUNSELORS. If their Ares pride did allow it, Sierra's reluctance to lead wouldn't have. She attended all the war counsel meetings with her sister though, and often represented Ares cabin along side her.

It wasn't because she was an authoritative presence in her cabin, though she was. It wasn't even that though she never spoke about it, everyone knew she had seen things that made her better suited to approaching things impassively, objectively, and clear headed. Nor was it that she had unique insight to where everyone stood in terms of sword training. Luke had fulfilled that role before, and it was always an excuse for her to be there, but never the real reason.

They all knew the real reason Sierra went to the counsel meetings, was so that when Clarisse inevitably threatened somebody, there was someone strong enough to physically restrain her if necessary. It was also well known Sierra had no issue with breaking a few bones to stop a fight, a helpful damper on any potential violent conflicts.

When Clarisse was gone, that put Sierra in charge of Ares cabin. Clarisse and she had decided two years prior that Sherman was set to take over for Clarisse when she went off to college. Sierra would stay ( she had no intention of ever leaving camp ) and guide him, show him the ropes, before leaving him to his own devices. That meant that while she and Clarisse had been gone, Sherman had been temporary head counselor.

Which was why Sierra was storming towards cabin five with murder in her eyes. Sierra slammed open the door, not an uncommon occurrence but it still jarred Sherman enough he dropped the stone he'd been sharpening his sword with. He wasn't doing so well what his his recently rebroken arm. The guy had to have some kind of record because Sierra swore he'd broken every bone in his body at least twice, even his jaw one time. That had not been a fun three weeks for him.

"Get off your ass Yang," she said sharply, "counsel meeting." He just stared at her, wide eyed for a long minute.

"But, you're back," he said slowly, "so I'm not in charge anymore." Sierra huffed out a heavy breath and closed her eyes for a count of three.

"Did I say you were done?" She asked, he shook his head, "then get off your ass now." She walked out, slamming the door behind her. A second later she heard it slam back open and they made their way out through the complicated maze of landmines.

The counsel was never as serious an event as it should have been. For starters, it occurred around a ping pong table and they had donuts, cheez whiz, and wine that often was exchanged for Diet Coke. One time Chiron hadn't noticed in time and the Hermes kids got a hold of it. That had been an interesting weekend. The positive thing was that Sidney Jester drunk had not been as bad as Sidney Jester on caffeine, one small relief.

Percy, Grover, Thalia, and the Stoll brothers were sat on one side of the table. Sierra, Sherman, Beckendorf, and the other cabin counselors on the other side. Zoe Nightshade and Bianca di Angelo sat at one head while Chiron and Mr. D sat at the other.