chapter iii

"SIERRA?" Sierra sighed heavily as she turned. Her eyes had gone down, finally ceasing the seemingly never ending burning these days. Thalia was watching her like she was a bomb about to go off.

"I'm fine," she snapped, "it's just, been harder to control lately." Sierra actually didn't hate Thalia, which was different for her because as a general rule she didn't form opinions on people. She just never really cared enough to bother with whether or not she hated or liked someone.

Despite that though, being forced to spend time around the daughter of Zeus meant she'd formed an opinion of not hatred. She didn't like her either, but she was tolerable.

Thalia was much more open to the idea of a protection detail than Percy had been. Especially after Sierra had explained it wasn't her idea, but the gods'. Then Thalia had decided to just let her do her job so she wouldn't get, you know, burned to ashes. Percy and Andy had been less welcoming of the idea of her following them around, hence why she'd been guarding them without their knowledge. Not well apparently since Andy had just gone over a freaking cliff.

"I know. But I'm more worried about the whole showing up in a war chariot thing. And who were those guys? And what did they mean by a favor whenever they ask?" Sierra leaned against a nearby tree, crossing her arms.

"They gave me the chariot to get here, I have to do something for them." Thalia didn't seem to like that, but Sierra shook her head. "I know, I'm stupid, whatever, lets just go," she pushed past the daughter of Zeus back towards the group.

She didn't speak to Percy when she sat down next to him by the fire. He didn't talk to her either, though she had a feeling his silence was more fear about her little display than her discomfort at his going to her for comfort. She wasn't a comforting presence, people didn't want hugs from her when they were sad, they were supposed to run away. It felt weird and backward to be anyones source of contentment.

"Big collection," Percy said. The kid, Nico di Angelo, had set out a large array of little figurines, all of greek gods and monsters.

Nico grinned. "I've got almost all of them, plus their holographic cards! Well, except for a few really rare ones."

"You've been playing this game a long time?" Percy asked.

"Just this year. Before that," he knit his eyebrows and his mouth turned down in a confused pout that made him look even younger.

"What?" Percy asked.

"I forget. That's weird." He looked unsettled, but it didn't last long. "Hey, can I see that sword you were using?" Percy pulled out his pen and uncapped it, showing Nico the blade but not letting him touch it. Probably smart.

"Cool! Does it ever run out of ink?" Wow, kids were weird.

"Um, well, I don't actually write with it."