chapter vii

SIERRA SWORE IT WAS WRITTEN SOMEWHERE IN HER DNA THAT IT WAS PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR HER TO FALL ASLEEP UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS. Number one, she had just woken up for a horrible dream. Number two, it was warmer than 47 degrees outside, she wasn't sure why it was that number, but for some reason 46 was easy, and yet 48 she was wide awake, the actual degree of 47 was a neutral point and often felt like playing wheel of fortune with her sleep cycle. Number three, she had something important, possibly life threatening, to do the next day and was either excited or nervous about it. Sadly, all three were true the evening before she was to leave for her quest.

She'd gone to bed after packing for her trip tomorrow. She and Clarisse had stayed up at least an hour longer than the others to debate over the lines of their guiding prophecy:

You shall sail the iron ship with warriors of bone,

You shall find what you seek and make it your own,

But despair for your lives entombed within stone,

And fail without friends, to fly home alone

Honestly, did all of the oracle's predictions have to be so confusing and gloomy? Why couldn't for once she spew green smoke and say, 'go to Miami, you'll kill the thing, and return home within twenty four hours with no monster attacks.' Then again, the day something made by the gods was actually clear and helpful would be the day the world ended.

They'd both gone to sleep still understanding only the first and second line. The iron ship with warriors of bone was easy for Ares kids, they could summon any number of fallen war vessels and the spirits of ghosts from the loosing side of any war in history. Iron ship, bone warriors, done. The second line was also simple, they were seeking the golden fleece and apparently they'd find it and claim it. But the third line was, troubling, to say the least, as was the fourth. Friends, plural implied there would be another person at least along with them. Sierra had a sneaking suspicion it was going to be Percy and his trio of lunatics, guest starring Annabeth Chase and Andromeda Jackson. She didn't dare suggest that to Clarisse as she had a feeling her sister would go kill Percy now just under suspicion.

Sierra then had an awful dream of some satyr wearing a wedding dress, that was something she never needed to see. Then she'd had the horrible displeasure of dropping in on what appeared to be an Olympian war council. She couldn't hear everything but the general census was that something big was coming and the gods might have actually been a little scared. Then there was a smaller piece where Zeus told Ares his kids had better save 'my tree daughter' his words, or he'd smite them both. Ares had expressed a little confidence but it had mostly been, 'if they fail, they'll be dead anyway.' Thanks for the encouragement Dad.

Sierra had woken up after less than an hour of sleep and decided her time would be better spent doing literally anything else. She pulled herself out of bed and snuck out just as she had the night before. This time though, she could see someone up on the hill and decided to avoid possibly condemning herself to another double patrol shift. Something urged her to the water, and she carefully made her way through the camp without alerting the harpies.