Chapter 14

You stared out the window of the bus you were on, contemplating what had happened over the past few weeks. You had just left Calcutta, and you were heading to Varanasi.

"Listen up. I don't usually get on a soap box like this, but stupid people are just that," Polnareff said, making hand motions. "You could repeat something a million times over and they still won't listen!"

That's when you zoned out. You didn't want to listen to Polnareff rambling about something or other that wasn't important to the mission. He was talking to the lady from before, Hol Horse's girlfriend. She introduced herself as Nena. You sighed and watched the landscape fly by. Maybe I should take a nap or something, you thought, wrapping your arms around yourself. You closed your eyes, and not even Polnareff's obnoxiously loud voice could keep you awake.

————————

Soon enough, you were awoken by a buzzing should and a tap on your shoulder. You opened your eyes and looked over. Hierophant Green had its hand on your shoulder, looking down at you with a blank expression.

"We're here," Kakyoin said through it. You nodded, and the being shimmered out of existence.

"Man, this thing isn't getting any better," Joseph mumbled.

That's right. He got some kind of bug bite. You looked over to see that it had grown exponentially, and it kind of looked like... a face. Your eyebrows furrowed as you looked around. That's when your eyes locked onto Nena. She looked expressionless, but... there was a certain darkness in her eyes. She looked downright terrifying. Your eyes widened as you put two and two together. As you opened your mouth to say something, she locked eyes with you. You looked away immediately, making yourself look smaller. Soon enough, you stepped out of the bus. You stretched your limbs.

"Jeez, I really hate sitting down for so long. My ass is killing me," you grumbled.

Kakyoin snorted softly, like he was stifling a laugh. You did the same, elbowing him lightly. Joseph had a faraway look in his eyes, as if he was trying to think of something.

"What's wrong, old man? You don't look well," Jotaro said, voice laced with concern.

Your eyes widened by a fraction. Jotaro looked annoyed, but there was a spark of unease in his eyes. You guess he noticed, too, that Joseph wasn't acting like himself.

"Looks like my bug bite got a lot worse. This thing must be infected," he answered, holding his arm as he showed it to you. You winced.

"It's definitely swollen. It would be best to have a doctor look at it before it gets worse," Kakyoin said.

"Is it just me, or does it look like a face?" you pointed out, trying to give some subtle clues.

Polnareff leaned in. "Yeah. I agree with you on that one," he responded.

"Stop kidding around, you two. That's creepy," Joseph responded, turning away from you partially. Your eyebrows twitched. He didn't believe you. However, you knew that Polnareff had partially the same idea as you.

"Sorry about that," you lied, giving an awkward laugh.

You could feel daggers glared at your back, making you feel as though you were ice cold. You didn't have to look behind you to know who it was.

"Fine, fine. I'm going," Joseph said, walking away to find a doctor's office or hospital. You pulled Polnareff aside, away from the other boys and Nena. He let out a surprised cry.

"Hey, Polnareff! Why don't we go see those stuffed animals over there? They're super cute," you exclaimed, bringing up a facade. He looked confused.

"Um... okay?" he said as you dragged him toward the place you saw.

"Sorry. I couldn't let them know what's going on," you whispered, not daring to turn around.

"What do you mean?" he asked, raising a nonexistent eyebrow.

"You saw it, too, right? That bug bite looked like a face," you answered.

"Yeah? What about it?" he responded.

"I think Nena is a Stand User. She's been glaring at Joseph for a while, and she thinks I know what's going on. And she started glaring at me," you answered, pointing out a dolphin plushie to make it seem like we were talking about it.

His eyebrows would have furrowed if he had any.

"I kinda noticed that she had a creepy expression... Let's keep an eye on her, alright?" he said, paying for the plushie as a final part of our act.

"Got it," you agreed.

You walked back over, you giving a fake proud expression. Polnareff sighed and said, "I can't believe you actually convinced me to buy that for you."

You gave a satisfied hum.

"I have my ways, good sir," you responded, hugging the dolphin.

You looked up to see Jotaro's gaze flipping from you, to Polnareff, to the dolphin. His eyes lingered on the toy. You stifled a laugh, holding out to him.

"Do you want to hold it?" you asked, tilting your head.

He pulled his hat over his eyes and gently took the dolphin from your arms. You had a feeling he would. A few weeks ago, he had practically attacked you for trying to touch his plushies. You knew he had an interest in sea life, so it was kind of cute to see him like this. None of you said anything for fear of Jotaro killing you. And with that, you started making your way further into the city to find the hotel Joseph had mentioned on the bus ride. The entire time, Polnareff was keeping up his casanova personality in front of Nena. You were both keeping an eye on her. Nena must have seen something, so she pointed out a hotel run by a Japanese woman.

You swore you saw a flash of familiar grey hair, but it was gone as soon as it had come. That was weird. A while later, after Polnareff got something to eat. She must have spotted someone again, and distracted Polnareff once more. This time, you didn't fall for it. You turned to see... Joseph? He had something on his arm. It looked like... a small person. You gave a signal to Polnareff and followed Joseph. He looked like he was trying to hide from someone or find something. Just then, a police car drove by. You snuck over and hid. You summoned your Stand. You concentrated on her, and you could see through her eyes.

"Joseph," you said through her. He jumped nearly three feet in the air.

"Queen of Hearts?... Does that mean that-"

"Shh! That thing on your arm can't know. Nena is the Stand user, and that is a part of her Stand's ability I guess," you said.

He looked surprised, and he nodded to show that he understood.

"I'll be right behind you if you need healing or something," you added. He nodded and continued on his way, Queen disappearing soon after.

You kept your distance and followed him, hiding as best as you could. Soon enough, he found a tub of black liquid and dipped his arm in. Soon, an arm came out and stabbed him in the neck with a rusty nail. You winced, but waited. Soon enough, the liquid started to harden. The being on his arm revealed that the liquid was coal tar. So that was his plan! He revealed that he found it by making a map with Hermit Purple. He wrapped his Stand around it and a bar, jumped up on the wall, and pulled. The thing was ripped into pieces. You ran over to inspect him. Nothing was particularly hard to heal, so you did so, breathing a sigh of relief.