Chapter 22

Your eyes fluttered open, and you squinted in the light. Once they got used to it, you realized that you were in an... amusement park?

"What the hell?" you gently muttered.

First, you fought the sun. Next, you were in a freaking amusement park in your pajamas. You heard a bark and quickly turned to look behind yourself. There was a dog, a cute little mutt, who was wagging his tail at you, eyes shining with love. Smiling, you knelt down to pet him. He licked at your hands, and you giggled.

"(Y/N)?" a voice asked. Jumping up, startled, you looking at the speaker.

"Kakyoin?" you asked, confusion in your voice. The red-head looked like he had just woken up. Suddenly, there was a cry, as if there was a baby somewhere in the distance.

"That crying... That's what woke me up... Where are we?" he said, sitting up further. You looked over the wall of the ferris wheel compartment.

"Looks like a theme park or something. What I'm wondering is how we even got here," You responded, standing up and smoothing out your pajamas.

It was really just a large t-shirt with shorts. Kakyoin followed, taking notice of the dog that was with you. He smiled and petted the brown stray, whose tail wagged at the attention. You looked out over the unknown place, and you jumped when balloons flew up from out of nowhere. What was strange about it was that there was a specific one that flew toward you. Kakyoin walked over as you grabbed the card that was attached. It was about as thick as a playing card, and it had a strange design on the back. Flipping it over, your eyebrows furrowed. Your eyes widened in both horror and surprise, and you heard Kakyoin's breath hitch. It was the tarot card for... Death.

"This card is... Death Thirteen," he said as he looked over your shoulder. Letting go of the card out of fear, you saw that the picture began to... move. The scythe that the figure held emerged from the card, and you almost got hit. The blade scraped your jaw before it went straight into the head of the poor dog, spraying carnage around the seats. You both screamed, and you jolted upward in bed, a gloved hand on your shoulder. Your heart was beating a million miles an hour, feeling like a lump in your throat... Why were you afraid?

"(Y/N), are you alright? You look pale," Joseph asked, gently rubbing your shoulder as you took a few deep breaths.

"Yeah... I think I had a bad dream or something," you weakly answered, bringing a hand up to rub your face.

Feeling something wet, you carefully pulled your hand away in confusion... Blood?

"Oh my god! What happened? That's a pretty deep cut!" the older man said, gently grabbing your face to inspect the wound.

It was about two or three inches away from your chin, and it curved up toward your lips. You blinked in confusion.

"I have no idea... I guess I fell over before you came in?" You replied with a shrug.

He left for a moment, and you gently placed your hand over the wound with a wince, trying to at least control some of the bleeding. He came back with a bandage and a towel. He cleaned up the blood before carefully placing the bandage over the cut.

"That should be good. Hopefully, we won't have to worry about an infection, but please let me know if it starts to bother you... Anyway, we'll be taking a plane to our next destination, so get ready. Jotaro and I are going to head there first. You, Polnareff, and Kakyoin will meet us there," he said, ruffling your hair with a smile before leaving the room.

You sighed, putting your face into your hand. That was so weird, you thought, sliding out of bed to get dressed. Why can't I remember what I dreamed about? It must have been freaky if I woke up screaming. You finished dressing and packed up your things. You walked out of your room, locking the room back before giving the key back to the person at the desk. On the way out, you met up with Polnareff and Kakyoin. The redhead looked a little pale, and you noticed he had a small cut on his hand.

"Good morning," you greeted with a small smile.

"Bonjour ma soeur!" Polnareff said happily, running over to pull you into a hug while lifting your body off of the ground.

Laughing, you hugged him back just as tight. He set you down after a bit, looking surprised as his eyes locked on the rather large bandage on your face.

"Ma chérie, What happened to your beautiful face?" he asked. You saw Kakyoin glance at the cut on his hand before looking back up at you.

"I woke up with a big cut on my jaw. I think I might have scratched it on something before Joseph came to wake me up," you answered, urging them to follow you outside.

He looked like he was about to say something, but you all heard a child crying. You followed the sound and found a boy crying... over the body of a dead dog. Something was so familiar about the poor animal, but you couldn't figure it out.

"Dog... A dog... I could have sworn..." Kakyoin mumbled.

There were just too many coincidences. How could the two of you both see the same dead dog and have scratches? You shook your head. "C'mon, Kakyoin. We've gotta go," you said, putting a hand on his shoulder. He nodded, and the three of you began walking toward your destination.

----------

"Hey, hey, hey! What do you mean you can't sell us the plane?" Joseph asked with an annoyed expression. "I gave you the money last night!"

The man awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck.

"You'll get a full refund. We need to deal with a baby with a fever first," he responded.

Joseph looked confused. A woman left the building, holding a basket with a baby in it. You got a weird feeling from the child, though you didn't know why.

"There are no doctors in this town, so we have to take the baby somewhere else to get help."

"What about that plane over there?" Joseph asked, pointing behind him.

"I'm sorry, but that one is broken," the man replied. You sighed.

"This is a pretty shitty situation," You said, rubbing the back of your neck.

"You've got that right," Jotaro grumbled.

"You'll be able to use the plane as soon as it gets back tomorrow night," the man added.

"Tomorrow night? Our group has someone's life on the line just like you guys do! We can't afford staying here for two days!" Joseph exclaimed, grabbing the shorter man by the shirt.

"So you're saying you'd rather just let that baby die?" The man responded. Joseph's eyes widened.

"Why don't we just take him with us? We can bring him to a hospital, and we can go where we need to go," you said, splitting them up. Joseph didn't look too happy about that, but he sighed, apparently giving in.

"Fine. We'll take the kid with us," Joseph said, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Ma'am, are you okay with having this baby with these people?" the owner asked.

The woman only nodded. You climbed into the plane and tried to fit the baby in. You ended up in the back, Polnareff and Kakyoin at your sides with the baby in your lap. You weren't that comfortable with this strangely creepy baby in your lap, and you couldn't believe that Kakyoin and Polnareff could fall asleep so easy. You only sighed and tried to take your mind off of the kid in your lap... And you swore you saw him smile...