Chapter 26

Kakyoin breathed a sigh of relief as he carried Joseph on his back. "Thankfully, he was only knocked unconscious. The problem is his hand," he said before the phone started ringing. You all looked toward it with surprise. "The phone? Who'd be calling at a time like this?" you exclaimed nervously.

Avdol's face lit up with realization. "It's the High Priestess! That's the name of the enemy Stand we are currently facing," he finally explained. "So," Jotaro started, turning to the Egyptian, "how do we win?"

You saw Avdol's eyebrows furrow. "By knowing the user," he answered. "Her name is Rose, and she has the ability to control her Stand from far away. This means that she is mostly likely on land." You softly groaned in annoyance.

"What's its power?" Kakyoin asked. Avdol folded his hands over his chest, like he was thinking. "It has the ability to turn into almost any inanimate object as long as it's made from minerals. Its transformations are perfect, which means there is no way to recognize the thing until it decides to attack," he explained further.

You walked over to Kakyoin, helping the poor boy carry Joseph. He silently thanked you for the help.

"That's so freaky! How did it climb aboard the submarine anyway?" Polnareff fearfully exclaimed. That's when you realized something that had happened earlier. "Remember that noise that we couldn't explain? The one they blamed on you?... I think that was her getting onto the ship," you said, everyone's breaths hitching.

Then, one of the dials flew off of the wall and water started pouring into the submarine, the lights going out and a red light replacing it. Alarms started blaring throughout the entire vehicle.

"I get it now... It cut a hole and moseyed on in!" Polnareff replied, scowling at the water pooling around his feet. Avdol looked over at more dials and complicated machinery. "The Stand found a way to damage the ballast tanks, which means we're sinking even faster," Avdol announced. You walked with Kakyoin to see what Avdol was looking at. After examining it for a bit, Kakyoin added, "We're also losing oxygen quickly."

You groaned again. "Looks like another shit show to me," you grumbled. Kakyoin smiled slightly. "You're starting to sound like Jotaro," he said softly, trying to lighten your mood a little.

Then, the phone started ringing again. "Mon Dieu! Whoever is calling has horrible timing!" Polnareff yelped. You all gave a shocked expression as Jotaro picked up the phone. As Jotaro listened, he made a surprised noise himself, obviously not expecting who was on the phone.

"I'm sorry, but the old man can't come to the phone right now," he finally said after a long moment of silence. Then, even more silence. "There's nothing to worry about, Grandma Suzi... He's gonna be just fine 'cause I'm right here with him... Later. We'll call back once things calm down," he said before hanging up the phone.

"Brace yourselves, people! We're about to hit the bottom!" Avdol warned. You all took his advice as the vehicle hit the bottom, causing all of you to slightly lose your balance. "I had a feeling this would happen! Every vehicle we drive ends up getting destroyed!" you exclaimed. "That's the last straw... I'm never riding in a submarine again," Jotaro grumbled.

Since you and Kakyoin weren't strong enough to haul Joseph around, Polnareff had taken over. He was huffing and puffing, and you, too, felt as though it had become difficult to breathe. "The air is getting pretty thin in here," Polnareff said.

"(Y/N), I need your help," Jotaro called, staring at a wall of dials. You raised an eyebrow, caught off-guard. "What's up?" you asked, walking toward him. "Did you manage to catch which one of the gages the Stand merged with?" he asked, looking over at you. Your breath hitched as you tried to recall what had happened. "Well, from what I remember,... I think it was this one," you replied pointing to one of the gages nervously.