𝘪. -𝘶𝘯

𝐳𝐞𝐫𝐨

𝐇𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫

𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘴𝘵

𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘴𝘵

In no way was it planned. Not for the eighteen year old Dawn who sat shivering on the cold hard wood floor, letting the harsh winter breeze attack the nauseating glimmer on her forehead, the soft shimmer gluing blonde flyaway hairs to the sickly skin.

For her blood rose against its tissue, slapping a rosy gloss over her frail frame, which set alight a fire within her body, the heat overpowering the icy winds of January's weather. Her winces and groans duetting with the choir of the howling winds, in a harmony of assault which once again left her heaving over the toilet seat, emptying her stomach into the bowl before her.

This was not how the new year was supposed to go, 1914 had rolled in through a wave of celebration for the Johnson couple, the young adults finally felt free from the hands that held them down. With no parents in sight they had happily wedded in the November of 1913 and escaped to Elijah's hometown of Newcastle in time for a new start.

Despite her broken English and heavy accent she had thrived, Elijah found work in the docks and Dawn found herself selling flowers in a quaint shop on the corner of the market. Eventually leading them to buy a run down flat in the slums, it was not the perfect life but they were happy none of the less. Young and free, it was them against the world.

However there she sat, sickness washing over her as she ran late to her shift at the shop, too weak to pull herself up from where she fell to the floor that morning with a thud which would surely leave bruises on her porcelain tone.
To her luck her husband had heard and rushed to her aid straight away, though upon realisation that there was nothing he could do, he left their home in search of a doctor, not before leaving one last fleeting look of concern at his ill wife.

It was if an angel from the heavens above heard her call, because as the last wet cough flew from her throat, the door flew open. The heaviness of the slam surely leaving a dent in the doorway but the thought was lost in the crowd of panic as Elijah dragged a confused doctor into the bathroom and per his request for some privacy with the woman, Eli reluctantly dragged himself out, wanting nothing more then to hold Dawn in his arms- after all he did promise her all his love through sickness and health.

After pacing the living room, almost burning holes in the ground he walked on, the sound of a door clicking open echoed through the tense air, and he had never turned on his heel so quick. To his surprise the doctor had a tight lipped smile stuck on his features, nodding his head and patting the shoulder of the younger man before him, a soft 'congratulations' leaving his mouth.