𝘹𝘪𝘪. -𝘥𝘰𝘶𝘻𝘦

𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫

𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘶𝘵𝘪𝘧𝘶𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘶𝘯𝘤𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭

Birmingham
Small Heath, 1919

She had tried. Tried not to let Ada exhaust her body thin. She had locked herself in her room, mould contaminating the walls and rotten food polluting the air of the hallway as it sat untouched outside her door.

She hadn't had much money but with some spare coin from the cash register at the florist, she had stopped by the market a few days prior, purchasing some fruit and oat, to which Theo had helped her organise in a basket to be left for the emotional newly mum.

But as she stood with Polly and Theo, trying to cheer up the woman who's husband had been left incarcerated, she realised it was no use.
And as aunt Polly replaces the basket, leaving the niece with a sigh, Dawn beckoned her son to follow. Because she was about to try the impossible. She was about to try and talk some sense into a starving woman. Hypocrisy at its finest.

"Ada?"

Met with silence she let her back hit the door, sliding down so she was seated on the floor, ready to plead through the thick wooden surface. "You are upset. I understand that, fuck I understand better then most."

"I understand the forbidden romance. I was married to the love of my life- his name was Elijah. Our families were in business together before the war, we were young and stupid, fooling around every summer he came to visit." She chuckled, memories flushing though her as a tear fell down her face. "We were kids, but we wanted freedom, autumn of nineteen thirteen, we ran away to England after his family permanently settled down in France. We had eloped, ready to begin our lives together. Before we knew it I was with child."

Still met with silence, she groaned in frustration, "Fuck Ada! I gave birth to my son days before my Eli was shipped off to fight in a war that should never of happened. I never saw him again, because he never came back. I was a single mother with no money- I had no choice but to starve." She paused before lowering her voice, though still loud enough for the Shelby (or Thorne as Dawn came to realise) to still here, "- but you, you have a chance to see Freddie again, are you really going to make him come home to skeletons? Or are you going to step out of your pity den, eat some fucking food and make sure your baby is safe? Ne choisissez pas l'option stuoid." 𝘥𝘰𝘯𝘵 𝘤𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘱𝘪𝘥 𝘰𝘱𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯.

With that, she pulled herself up, wiping her tears, and walked away, letting the young brunette ponder. She didn't know if her speech worked but she only wished, because Dawn had put a lot of effort to speak semi clear English, a struggle for her through the long drawl, but she sucked it up, leaving with a headache and only hoped for Ada to not go down the same path she had.