𝘪𝘷. -𝘲𝘶𝘢𝘵𝘳𝘦

𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫

𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

𝘶𝘯𝘦𝘹𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘨𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘴

𝘶𝘯𝘦𝘹𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘨𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘴

Birmingham
Small Heath, 1919

Hungry, that's what she was. The tight constricting of her stomach as it ached to be filled by something other then the acid which was slowly burning the insides of her throat as it made its way up. The sorrowful grumble echoing the daunt kitchen as she watched Theo eat the plain porridge with an encouraging smile.

"Mum your hungry."

Dawn watched with a hooded expression as her five year old son offered her the bowl, his small hand holding the spoon with a slop of oatmeal on. Her heart breaking at the sight but she shook her head, pulling herself from the chair and standing behind him, nuzzling her face into his neck- her hair tickling his face as he giggled, listening with a carefree smile as she spoke,

"Non, eat up mon amour you have a busy day today with aunt Pol!"

"But mum-"

"No buts." Her tone turning stern as she looked as Theo with her motherly stare- one that held no room for arguments. "Now finish your breakfast. Dieu nous en préserve, nous laissons Polly attendre." 𝘨𝘰𝘥 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘣𝘪𝘥 𝘸𝘦 𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘱𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘢𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨

From outside the flower shop the streets were busy with the morning hustle, busying themselves at the market and attending to their own stores. All adorning the same tiresome expression which matched well with their bland attire, muddling them into a wave of soulless spirits crashing into the shore of Small Heath as soon as light broke through the carpet of grey above them.

Dawn however didn't let herself drown in their sorrowful standards, despite how much a frown wanted to pull at her pale lips she forced them to tug up, especially at the sight of a woman stood impatiently waiting for the two, foot tapping unconsciously making a beat of importance from the sharp shoe heel.

"Took your time didn't you?"

Polly's sharp voice flew in her ears as she stepped forward, letting Theo spring into the grasp of the older woman, an innocent smirk forming on her porcelain features as she rummaged for the key to open the doors of the florist, but before she could open her mouth to reply the young boy tugged one her slightly aged arm directing her gaze down to him who held a cheesy grin on his face.