𝘪𝘪𝘪. -𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘪𝘴

𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫

𝐭𝐰𝐨

𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘣𝘢𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘦

𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘣𝘢𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘦

Birmingham
Small Heath, 1919

She loved her son completely. But it was nice to have some free time every now and again, though that time usually ticked by slower then time itself and she would find her self stuck in a loop of loneliness until he returned.

Or on minor occasions like this one, she would use this time wisely to drop the facade and become a desperate mother in need of feeding her child, and herself- however the French woman considered it be selfish to think of her needs over her sons, a habit she picked up when devoting her life to his the moment she realised it was just them against the harsh realities of the world.

And as much as she tried to shield Theo away from the poverty stricken society she could never shield herself. Which is how she found herself down by little Italy, a place she'd rarely go but a sense of strange comfort through the fact she wasn't the only woman with a foreign accent.

She stood pondering at a small bakery, contemplating in faux decision as she didn't actually have the money to buy any of the goods, but she wasn't going to let that be known to the kind Italian man who stood back behind the counter with a kind smile on his ageing face.

Humming as she looked at all the baked treats, she looked around the little shop to see it wasn't as full as she thought, one or two customers having a chat but Dawn was sure they were to leave at any given moment, which made it easier on her.

A loaf of bread caught her eye, it was by no means large but enough to feed her and Theo for a good few days if rationed carefully, and if asked she could say she brought it with the money Polly gave her (which unfortunately went towards her monthly pay for the broken down flat she resides in).

Sending a careful smile towards the baker, she reached into her clutch, pretending to fish around for some spare change, but who was she kidding, she knew it wasn't there.

But at the same time she went to open her mouth a crash stumbled from outside- enough to distract those inside the bakery. From across the road sat a cafe, a man stumbling into the stacked table and chairs, muttering incoherent words to himself.

Dawn watches on with unease as he picks up a chair and hurled it to the ground with a force that's startled her, and apparently the people around as they gathered to watch the unruly scene, a waiter angrily coming out the doors equipped with a weapon, to fend himself from the crazed man. Yet it only escalated when a the man turned the Italians own knife on himself, stabbing him in the chest with wild eyes, the blood merging into the rain downpour as he fell down.