𝘷𝘪. -𝘴𝘪𝘹

𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫

𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

𝘰𝘸𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘥𝘦𝘣𝘵

𝘰𝘸𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘥𝘦𝘣𝘵

Birmingham
Small Heath, 1919

Dawn had awoken that morning with a buzz. Not because she had been drinking or filling her nose with illegal narcotics. No, she was buzzing from the euphoric feeling of fullness. A toothy grin on her face as she twirled an equally happy Theo round her finger, relishing in his free laughter.

For the night before was spent snacking on bread, leaving them both to go to bed with stuffed stomaches. She hadn't gasped awake with the familiar achy emptiness she was used to nor the grumble of her body's protests.

Today was her day off and she planned to spend the hours dancing around the the tiny flat to non existent music, surely annoying whoever lived downstairs but her happiness at that moment in time couldn't care less.

And little Theo was definitely feeding off his mums glee, with a cheeky smile painted on his lips from the moment he woke up to his mothers joyful humming, prancing out of the shared bed and joining her in a shared ecstasy.

It had been a few hours since then, and the both of them were lying on the bed, Dawns arms wrapped around her sons as she listened to him blab nonsense, though was joyful enough to encourage whatever randomness he spurted with matching beaming grins. Each of their blonde hair cascading their heads in a halo, they were truly in heaven.

But there's always that saying, it's too good to be true? Well that was more apparent now then anywhere else, for there time was up to be satisfied.

Hazardous shouts and screams of arrogance thundered from outside, like a beat of war drums, or a herd of wild animals stomped the streets, fuelling the trepidation that set alight in the air.

Dawn jumped from her position on the creaky bed, eyebrows scrunched in confusion, looking down to see the fear stricken boy below her, with a gulp she glides off the bed before kneeling in front of her son who had followed her move my mad at upright. "Reste ici!"𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦!

Dawn tiptoed through the flat, making her way to the doorway to seek the problem, though halting in her steps as alarms rang in her head. Roaring strides left up the staircase leading to her home, and before she could run back to the safety of the bedroom the, the old wooden door was kicked in. Hinges fell poorly on the splintering frame, the force denting the plastering of the walls beside her. A yelp had left her mouth but it was over shadow by the scared scream from the otherwise of the apartment.