𝘷. -𝘤𝘪𝘯𝘲

𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫

𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘤𝘭𝘶𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴

𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘤𝘭𝘶𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴

Birmingham
Small Heath, 1919

Theo sat there in a daze. His legs dangling from the wooden chair he sat on, arms propped up against the table as his chin rested on his hands. The faint voice of Polly Gray scolding the youngest Shelby ringing in his ears.

His brown eyes darted to the plate sat on the table, crumbs scattering both the dish in front of him and the corners of his mouth where he had yet to wipe away the remains. But a strong boisterous laugh cut through air, startling the young boy to jump in his chair, the slamming of the door and thunderous footsteps.

Three men walked into the kitchen and Theo watched as Finns eyes beamed at them, pulling himself up in his chair and holding his head high as if to impress them. But while his friend held the confidence to do so, Theo found himself sinking into the chair, wanting nothing more then to be in his mother's embrace.

Yet his mother was not here, and he couldn't do anything but stare at the men as aunt Pol turned onto her nephews with a scowl which was once set for Finn. Smacking the upside of one of the men's head who held a wooden stick between his teeth.

His hands were now below the table, fiddling with his fingers, keeping his gaze directed at the gap between him and the table, hopefully going unnoticed- it almost brought nervous tears into his sockets at the thought of speaking to the intimidating men.

But luck was not on his side as another wave of gruff laughter rang through the room, however this time Theo could hear clearly the words being said, and he knew they were directed at him.

"Who's this then Pol? 'Nother one of Johnny boys long lost kids aye?'

"Oi fuck off!"

Shyly the young boy lifted his head, not quite understanding what they meant, but when he did he instantly regretted at as three pairs of eyes were boring into him. His small lips trembled as words failed to escape him, but to his left the ten year old Finn jumped up excitedly and spoke instead
"He's my friend!"

The one that seemed the eldest once again laughed, his face flushed red for reasons the boy couldn't understand, scruffing up the elder boys hair, "You? Friends? Ha my fuckin' arse!"

Polly roller her eyes at her nephews, stepping behind the young blonde boy and gently placing her hands on his shoulders. "You better fuckin' pack it in, don't you have somewhere to be?"