Chapter 16

Juvia and baby Sylvia both needed their rest so Lucy didn't stay long. She went back to the Fullbuster house to get Nashi's things and Happy, then she brought all of that along with Nashi back to her apartment. By the time they arrived it was after eight and little Nashi was exhausted.

"But I don't want to go to sleep. I'm not tired." She yawned.

"Yes you are." Lucy chuckled as she tucked the little girl into the bed of her guest room. "There we go, all snug and warm. Now do you need anything else? Another blanket? Another pillow? A glass water?"

"I want my daddy."

"I know sweetie but your daddy is really busy right now."

"Did I do something bad? Is that why he went away?"

"No honey, it's nothing you did. It's not your fault."

"Then why did he go away?"

"It's complicated but I promise you that your daddy isn't going to go away forever. He's going to come back."

"When?"

"I don't know but I'll do everything I can to make sure it's soon."

"I wanna talk to daddy, can I call him?"

"Not now but I'll tell you what." Lucy went over to a chest which she opened up and started looking for something inside. She then pulled out a little doll in a pretty blue dress. Nashi this is Michelle, she was my doll when I was little and she's very special."

"What makes her so special?"

"You don't know? Didn't your father ever tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"Toys are magic."

"They are?"

"Yes you see toys are made specifically to protect, watch over, and love children so they do everything they can to make them happy. And one of the things they do is send messages from children to their parents. So if you want to talk to your daddy but you can't at the moment you just tell Michelle exactly what you want to say to him and when you go to sleep she'll send the message to him. She did it all the time for me when my father went away on business trips."

"How does she do that?"

"It's a secret."

"Why does she do it when I'm asleep?"

"Because she knows that when you're asleep that means you've told her all that you want your daddy to hear for today. She wants to make sure that she gets the whole message especially if you want to add on more to the message later."

"I guess that makes sense."

Lucy sat Michelle on the table that was next to the bed.

"She'll sit right here and you just tell her the message."

"Okay." Nashi looked at the doll with the pretty smile. "Hi Michelle, I'm Nashi. Can you tell Daddy something for me please? I want you to tell him that I love him and that I miss him and that I want him to come home. I also want you to tell him that I'm being a good girl like he told me to be. So will you do it?"

The doll didn't respond.

"Did she get the message?"

"Yes she did." Lucy smiled. "You know dolls are great friends, you can tell them anything and they'll always keep your secrets. Now it's time to go to sleep. I'll see you in the morning okay?"

"Okay. Good night Lucy." Nashi leaned up and kissed Lucy on her cheek before turning over on her side and snuggling up with Happy.

"Good night Nashi." The blonde said shocked by the kiss but also feeling very joyful about it. She then dimmed the lights in the room and slowly closed the door.

"You know you would make a wonderful mother." Lucy was startled when she realized that Erza was in her apartment.

"Oh God you scared me! What are you doing here?!"

"You called me remember? You said you had a case for me and you wanted me to come over as soon as my trial was over. Also the door was open."

"Oh right! Sorry I forgot, my friend Juvia had her baby and I had to watch Nashi and...I just got mixed up in everything."

"I see. So what's the case?"

"It's about Natsu, I want you to be his lawyer in the upcoming case against his wife."

"Defend a wife beater? I would never."

"Erza he's not a wife beater! If you knew Natsu the way Gray, Juvia, and I know him you wouldn't dare think he would beat his wife."

"He basically flung her out a window!"

"For attacking his child! He told me what happened that night. They got into argument, she started beating him, he didn't do anything to stop her but then their daughter came in and she begged her mother to stop but the woman struck that child in the face so Natsu finally retaliated. Don't you understand? He only did what any father would do for his child."

"You really believe that he's innocent and that his wife is the abuser?"

"I have no doubt about it in my mind whatsoever."

Erza thought for a moment then spoke.

"Okay so he said that his wife attacked their daughter and that's why he got violent with her?"

"Yes."

"And is it possible that she's witnessed the abuse that her father's been through?"

"It is possible."

"Alright then if we can get the child to say that then we can make a case but working with children is never easy."

"Do we have to drag her into this? She's already got enough to deal with."

"I don't like it any more than you do but if Natsu is telling the truth then it's either a little girl experiences great discomfort or an innocent man goes to jail."

"At least talk to Natsu before you do anything. He's very protective of her, in fact all that poor man can think about is how this is all going to effect her."

"Really? Wish my father was that devoted to me. But don't worry I'll talk to him. In the meantime do you have custody of the kid?"

"No technically Gray and Juvia do but they have a new baby now and they can't watch her."

"Does she have any other relatives?"

"Natsu's parents died when he was a little boy, he has an older brother but he's serving over seas at the moment."

"Then I'm afraid she'll have to stay with her mother until further notice."

"Oh dear God no! Erza she struck Nashi while in uncontrollable fit of rage and lord only knows what else she could have done if Natsu hadn't of stopped her. He doesn't want that mad woman anywhere near his child."

"Now calm down. Are Mr. and Mrs. Fullbuster Nashi's godparents, legal wise?"

"I don't know. When we were dating Natsu always said he would make Gray and Juvia the godparents of our future children but I don't if he was serious."

"Well if they are legally her godparents and they entrusted her in your care then she can stay with you. I'll have to take a look at the documents, in the meantime you just get some rest and keep an eye on the kid."

"Okay. Thank you Erza."

"I gotta go now, see you later."

With that said Erza left.