Chapter 26

The next day Gray and Juvia were called to the trial to testify on Natsu's behalf.

"Mr. Fullbuster how long have you known my client?" Erza asked him.

"Since grade school." Gray answered.

"And during all those years that you've known him has he ever come off as someone who would violently attack women or children?"

"No."

"Can you tell me what kind of relationship he had with his wife from your point of view?"

"Well I don't really know what to say about that. I guess they seemed stable. Of course I knew they had problems, what married couple doesn't? But I never thought abuse."

"What do you think about his wife?"

"She acted sweet and she smiled a lot. Smiled a lot but never really happy."

"Could you explain?"

"Well she always seemed to be complaining about Natsu. It was like everything he did seemed to upset her."

"Did you ever see her hurt him physically?"

"No."

"Did you ever see Natsu raise a hand to his wife?"

"No."

"What about his daughter?"

"No way. The man would rather shoot himself than do anything to hurt that kid."

"Thank you Mr. Fullbuster."

She sat down and then Kagura stood up to ask her questions.

"Mr. Fullbuster is it true that you have gotten into physical fights with Mr. Dragneel numerous times?" She asked.

"Yes but it's-"

"So he's a violent man?"

"It's not like that. We're just messing around when we do that. Having some fun."

"Fun? Really? Mr. Fullbuster do you recall April 15th of last year?"

Gray gulped before answering. He knew very well where she was going with this.

"Yes." He answered.

"Will you please tell the court what happened on that day?"

Gray looked at the judge.

"Do I have to?" He asked.

"Yes Mr. Fullbuster."

Gray gave Natsu a look that apologized for what he was about to say. Natsu gave him a look of complete understanding. One that let him know that he wouldn't be angry with him for telling the truth.

"On the night of April 15th of last year Natsu and I went out for drinks. He got really drunk and wanted to drive home. I tried to take his keys and we got into a big fight."

"And what were the results of that fight?" Kagura asked.

"I...I got hurt."

"How hurt? Was it just a few harmless scratches? Or maybe a bruise or two?"

"No." Gray sighed. "He...He broke my arm."

The crowd gasped in horror.

"But it was an accident!" Gray protested. "He was gripping my arm and he slipped! It caused him to bend my arm back and-"

"No further questions." Kagura said.

"The witness may step down." Makarov said.

After him came his wife Juvia. Gray didn't like the idea of her testifying. Especially since she had just given birth to one of their children and soon afterward being reunited with another. He thought a trial would be too much stress on her but she insisted that she wanted to help Natsu.

"Natsu is one of the most gentle men I had ever known." Juvia said. "He wouldn't hurt a fly. I've seen him play with children and he absolutely adores his daughter."

"But he broke your husband's arm." Erza said. "Did that not make you frightened of him?"

"No. It was an accident and that was the only time he ever did any real damage to my husband or anyone else. And he was so terribly remorseful about it."

"I see. Would you trust him to look after your children?"

"Yes. I would."

"What about his wife?"

"I haven't known Touka as long as him so I don't really know if I could trust her."

"What are your thoughts on her?"

"Um...Well I...She acted polite and neighborly."

"Did you ever see her act violent toward her husband or child?"

"No."

"Did you ever see her do anything that might suspect abuse?"

"No. I didn't suspect anything wrong with her except when..." She trailed off a little.

"Except when what Mrs. Fullbuster?"

"It was months ago and maybe I should have mentioned this sooner I just didn't know what I to do when it happened."

"When what happened?"

"My husband was called away on a trip to speak with an important client regarding a painting. On one of the nights he was gone I heard noises outside and got scared so I asked Natsu to come over and stay the night. It wasn't just the two of us, he brought his daughter too. Nothing happened. Anyway some time later I found out that I was pregnant again and when I announced it Touka confronted me the day after."

"About what?"

"She...She accused me of having an affair with Natsu and that he was the father of my child."

"If you'll pardon me for asking, were any of her accusations true?"

"No. I love my husband and Natsu is his best friend. We'd never betray him like that. But when I denied it she started screaming at me. She called me a liar and a whore."

"Liar!" Touka screamed. "I never said that!"

"Counsellor control your client." Makarov said sternly.

"So she insulted you and screamed at you." Erza continued. "Is that all she did?"

"No." Juvia answered. "She tried to punch me but I ran back inside my house. She banged on the door for hours, screaming and demanding that I get an abortion or she would make me suffer. She finally left when I threatened to call the police."

"Did you tell anyone about this?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Things were going so well lately. My husband was getting promoted and we were having another baby after trying for so long. I thought this would ruin things and...And I was afraid."

"Afraid?"

"Of Touka. I had never seen her like that. It was like she was a completely different human being and I thought...I thought she would hurt me if I said anything."

"You filthy liar! You know that's not true!" Touka screamed again. "I never did any of that! I'll kill you you whore!"

The crowd let out another gasp of horror.

"Order! Order!" Makarov demanded as Kagura tried to restrain her client. "One more outburst like that Mrs. Dragneel and you're out of here!"

When that was settled, Juvia got down from the stand and went to her husband who held her comfortingly.

"We'll have a brief recess before calling the next witnesses." The judge said.