Chapter 20

Ciel felt as if a hammer was banging against the side of his head when he finally woke up. The last thing he remembered was taking the beating of a lifetime from his so called father and then everything went black. He expected to wake up in heaven or some sort of after life believing that the beating killed him but instead he found himself in a room that was all white and had an extremely clean smell. He felt hand hold on to his and at first he flinched thinking that it belonged to Mary or Giles but to his relief it belonged to Juvia.

"Mrs. Fullbuster?" He said.

"Oh Ciel thank goodness." She sighed in relief. 

"Where am I?"

"You're in the hospital sweetie, you had a broken rib but you'll be alright." 

"How long will I be here?"

 "They need to keep you over night for observation but you can leave tomorrow morning."

"I don't wanna go home!" He said getting scared. "I can't go home! My parents they'll-"

"Shhh...It's okay you're not going back to those people I promise."

"They tried to kill me." He said trembling. "They actually tried to kill me. I always knew they never really loved me but I never thought they would..."

He couldn't finish, it was just too painful. He tried not to cry but he ended up doing it anyway. With great gentleness and care, Juvia took the weeping boy into her arms and cradled him close while rocking back and forth in the bed. Soon he fell asleep and she tucked him back into bed. Shortly afterward her husband returned with Jellal.

"Oh Gray I'm so glad you're back." She said. "I was so worried, you looked so strange when you left."

"I'm sorry for upsetting you." He said.

"Detective Fernandes what are you doing here?" Juvia asked.

"Would you mind stepping outside with me? I don't think it would be wise to wake the boy." He said.

"Of course."

They stepped outside the room.

"As we speak my girlfriend, district attorney Erza Scarlet is securing a warrant for the arrest of Mr. and Mrs. Hughes for attempted murder and child abuse." He said. 

"Good." She said. "I hope they rot in prison."

"She's also securing a D.N.A test."

"For what?"

"For you two and the boy. If D.N.A proves that he is your biological son we'll have them kidnapping charges too."

"But how can you be so sure that he's ours."

"Because I found this in his bag." Gray said holding up the toy penguin and the baby blanket. "It's him Juvia, it's our boy. I'd be willing to bet my life on it."

Juvia felt her whole body start to shake and her hands moved to take the blanket from her husband. She ran her fingers over the soft, blue material and inhaled it's scent. Tears stung her eyes and she recognized the scent. 

"My baby." She sobbed. "My poor sweet baby. Oh dear God! What did those monsters do to him?!"

Gray held his wife as she started to break down.

"It's going to be okay honey." He told her. "Tomorrow morning we'll take him home with us."

"Actually that can't happen yet." Jellal said.

"What? What do you mean?"

"Until the results of the D.N.A test verify he'll have to stay at a foster home."

"You're kidding. He's our son!"

"Which hasn't been proven yet and until it is the law can't just give him to you. He'll only be there for three to four days depending on how long the test takes. You can visit him but you can't take him home with you yet. I'm very sorry."

"How soon can you get the test?" Juvia asked.

"My girlfriend is already working on it. I know this is hard for you both but you have to be patient, just for a little longer."

"We've been patient for seven years." Gray said. "How much longer do we have to wait?"

"Just three days. That's all I'm asking, three days."

"This isn't right."

"Gray what choice do we have?" Juvia asked. "And it's only for three days. We can wait."

"Glad that we've reached an agreement. I'll call you both when it's time for the D.N.A test."

"Just so we're clear those bastards are going to come anywhere near him are they?" Gray asked.

"Absolutely not. I can assure you they'll never lay eyes on that boy again. I have to go now but I pray that things we'll be fine when this is over." He said before leaving.

"I hope they stick a needle in both of them." Gray said.

"For now let's forget that and be content that we fianlly found Winter and that we found him alive!" She said. "I was so sure that he was dead. I expected to find his body in a ditch somewhere but to find him alive! Oh Gray!"

The couple held each other feeling so sad and relieved at the same time. But the moment was interrupted by he sound of Juvia's phone ringing. 

"Hello?" She answered. "Oh hi Lucy...Yes I'm alright...Ciel is fine. They're releasing him tomorrow....Oh no you don't have to keep Sylvia for another night, I'll be right there to pck her up. Thanks again for watching her, I'll see you there." 

She hung her phone.

"I have to get Sylvia. Gray you'll stay here with Winter won't you?"

"I won't leave him alone for a second."

"Promise?"

"Promise. Now you better get going, remember we have another child to think about now."

She kissed Gray and the two of them quietly crept back into the room where they saw their son, sleeping in bed. She leaned over and softly placed a kiss on his forehead.

"Mommy will be right back." She whispered lovingly.

She then left the hospital to pick up their daughter. While she was gone Gray sat down in a chair next to the bed not once taking his eyes off of the boy. He just couldn't believe that he was right. He had been so scared that he had been wrong and that he would have to go through life never knowing what happened to his son but now he had found him and as God as his witness he would never lose him again.