Chapter 23

When the time came for the D.N.A test, Gray and Juvia waited with baited breath. Deep down they were absolutely terrified that the test would be wrong and that Ciel would not be their son. The poor couple wouldn't be able to bear it if he wasn't theirs.

While waiting for the results to come back, Jellal had arrested both Giles and Mary Hughes for child abuse and attempted murder.

"Whatever that brat told you it's all made up in his head!" Giles said when Jellal came into interrogate  him. "He's always been a liar!"

"The scars say otherwise Mr. Hughes." Jellal said. "The scars he's sustained from years of abuse and the broken ribs. Doctors will testify in court that it was no accident that caused them. You beat that boy within an inch of his life. You tried to kill him."

"The little bastard deserved it."

"No child deserves that!" Jellal said slamming his fist on to the interrogation table which scared Giles a little. "You're a real piece of crap Hughes! And I hope they throw away the key! You're going away for child abuse, attempted murder, and kidnapping!"

"Kidnapping? What the hell are you talking about?! I didn't kidnap anyone!"

"So you're denying kidnapping Ciel from his biological parents?"

"What are you talking about? Are you saying the bastard's not mine?"

"Mr. Hughes we have reason to believe that Ciel is actually a child who was abducted from his parents seven years ago."

"And you think Ciel is that kid?"

"We've already done a D.N.A test on Ciel and the couple who's child was stolen. I have no doubt that the results will come back as a perfect match which will prove he is the missing child in question and that you and your wife kidnapped him."

"That crazy bitch!" Giles shouted when he finally put the pieces together. "Okay I admit it! I never liked the punk and I did rough him up but I didn't take him! I didn't even want him to begin with!"

"Is that right?"

"Yeah! Look eight years ago I was thinking of leaving Mary because well... She's nuts. We separate, she calls me one night and says she's pregnant, I call her bluff. Then one year later she shows up on my doorstep with a screaming brat, claiming it's mine, and threatening to make me pay child support if we're not a family."

"So you actually thought Ciel was yours?"

"I had my doubts but everytime I mentioned it Mary threatened to take me to court and I wasn't going to risk that."

"Let me get this straight. You played no part in kidnapping him?"

"No way. I never wanted kids and I only stayed with that lunatic so I wouldn't have to pay child support."

Giles Hughes was a scum bag. He was lower than scum which was Jellal believed him. He actually believed this boil on humanity hated children so much that he would never actually try to get one into his care. Which meant that Mary was the one he should be talking to about the abduction.

He interrogated her right after he was done with Giles.

"What did you take him Mary?" He asked her.

"Take who?"

"Why did you take Winter from his parents?"

"I don't know a Winter."

"Yes you do! Winter is the one year old boy you snatched seven years ago."

"I don't know what you're talking about. The only boy in my life is my son Ciel."

"He's not your son Mary and the D.N.A test that's been taken on him will prove that. Not to mention we have your medical records that show you had a hysterectomy four years before Ciel was born."

"Those records are false!"

"You wish. Your sister has them and gave them to me."

"They're doctored! Coco never wanted me to have a child! She doctored those records! She's setting me up!"

"Wow, trying to pin this whole thing on the one person who cares about you. That's low and not a very smart thing to do."

"She doesn't care about me! No one does! Only Giles cares about me!"

"Right and yet he was going to leave you."

"He didn't leave me!"

"He tried to but you found a way to stop him didn't you? Scaring him into thinking that he'd have to pay child support. Quite a gamble. Lucky he was stupid enough to believe Ciel was his huh?"

"Ciel is his!"

"D.N.A doesn't lie Mary."

Mary became quiet for a moment and started thinking. Then she decided to change her story.

"So he's adopted."

"Nice try. I spoke to all the adoption agencies you went to. They all rejected your request to adopt. No one in their right mind would ever give you a baby so you took one."

"You don't understand! He didn't belong with that woman! She threw him away! She didn't want him!"

"Oh please you're not seriously trying to pull that are you? I have plenty of witnesses who said that Mrs. Fullbuster  loved that child above everything else in her life. Probably more than any mother ever could love a child and you broke her heart when you took him away!"

"That's not true! She didn't want him! I was a far better mother than she was! He's mine! I fed him, I clothed him-"

"You treated him like crap! You're so desperate to have a baby that you steal him from parents who love him and give him to your husband to abuse! Leaving his parents to never stopping wondering if he's dead or not! You tortured him and his parents for seven years! Just what kind of a sick monster are you?!"

"I needed that child okay?! Giles was going to leave me! I was desperate!"

"Well listen lady, you're never going to see that child again."

"You can't take him from me."

"Sure I can. I already have. That boy is going back to his real parents who thought he was dead and you are going to rot behind bars for the rest of your miserable life."

"I didn't do anything wrong."

"You can't seriously believe that. Because if you do then you're crazier than I thought lady."

"Where's my husband?"

"Waiting for his lawyer. Although I don't think you really want to see him right now. He was pretty pissed when he found out you tricked him into fatherhood."

And without another word Jellal left the interrogation room and allowed the police to lock her in a cell.