Chapter 24

The next day the D.N.A test results came back and Jellal went to break the news to Mr. and Mrs. Fullbuster.

"Well?" Gray asked when Jellal arrived.

"It's a perfect match." He told them. "Ciel is your biological son."

"Oh thank God." Juvia said trying so hard not to break down in tears of relief.

"When do we get him?" Gray asked.

"Tonight but a word of advice. Take things slow with him. This whole thing will be a complete shock to him."

"He doesn't know yet?"

"No. He's still recovering from his injuries and I think it would be best if I explained this to him."

"Why you?"

"Be honest Mr. Fullbuster, do you think you or your wife can explain this calmly and without getting too emotional?"

When neither one of them replied, it all but confirmed what he thought.

"I'm going down there to tell him what's going on and then I'll bring home to you two."

"You'll be gentle with him right?" Juvia asked.

"Of course."

With that said Jellal went down to the foster home where Ciel was staying. He sat with the boy in a private room so he could talk to him.

"How are you feeling Ciel?" He asked gently.

"My stomach still hurts but I'm okay." He said

"That's good to hear."

"Am I...Am I living here now?"

"No. Today I'm taking you home."

"Oh no! No! I can't go back there! They'll kill me if I go back there!"

"Now calm down. You're not going back to Mr. and Mrs. Hughes."

"I'm not?"

"No."

"But you said you were taking me home."

"That's right."

"I'm confused."

"Ciel let me ask you something. Do you know what biological parents are?"

"Yeah. I think so."

"Do you know the difference between biological parents and adopted parents?"

"Uh-huh. Adopted parents take care of a baby that they didn't make and biological parents are basically the parents who make the baby...I don't know how that works exactly but that's how it is. Am I wrong?"

"No. You're correct. You're a very smart boy."

"Really? My mom thinks I'm stupid."

"Ciel the woman who raised you, Mrs. Hughes did a very bad thing to you."

"Tell me something I don't know. She did something bad to me everyday of my life."

"This is different. This happened a long time ago. You don't remember because you were a baby when this happened."

"What did she do?"

"Let me explain this way. Ciel did Mr. and Mrs. Fullbuster ever mention having a son to you?"

"Yes but they lost him."

"But do you know how they lost him?"

"No."

"Seven years ago someone took their son away from them when he was only a year old and that person took two other things as well. A blue blanket that Mrs. Fullbuster made for him and a toy penguin that Mr. Fullbuster gave him."

"What are you trying to say?"

"We took some tests Ciel. The people who raised you are not your biological parents. Your teacher and her husband are your birth parents." 

Ciel became very silent. His agitated and confused appearance became one of shock and apprehension. It was like he had just woken up from some dream only to be told that it was real.

"You mean to tell me that my teacher is my mom?"

"Yes. I know this is a lot to take in."

"Yeah right. I don't understand any of this. How could she be my mom? And if she and Mr. Fullbuster are my parents then how did I end up with those two? Did they give me away? Didn't they want me?"

"Of course they did. They didn't give you away. You were taken from them by Mrs. Hughes. She wanted to keep her husband from leaving her so she took you from your real mother and father."

"This...This is a joke right? I mean...This just doesn't make sense."

"Ciel I know this is all so confusing and even a little scary but believe me when I say that your real parents loved you very much and they were heartbroken when they lost you. They've always wanted you. They still do."

"Am I going to live with them now?"

"Yes."

"I...I just don't know what to think of all this."

"It's going to be okay. I'm gonna help you and so are they." Jellal assured him. "You know they really wanna see you. I told them that I would bring you to their house tonight. Is that okay?"

"Yes it's okay. Do I gotta hug them?"

"You don't have to do anything you don't want to do."

"Alright."

He got in the car with Jellal and was taken to the Fullbuster house. Before letting Ciel inside, Jellal reminded Gray and Juvia that Ciel was shook up about this and that he needed some adjusting so they shouldn't rush anything. They agreed to take things slow.

When Ciel walked in his parents just looked at him. It took all their will power not to just break down crying and hold him.

"We have your room all ready for you." Gray said trying so hard to keep it together. "It's upstairs and it's across from the baby's room. I hope that's okay."

"It's fine." Ciel said.

"Do you want anything to eat or drink?" Juvia asked.

"No thanks."

"I'll help you carry your bags upstairs." Gray picked up Ciel's suitcase while Juvia and Ciel followed him up the stairs and into the bedroom they had specially made for him.

"I know how much you love art so I bought you a lot of sketch books and how to sculpt books." Juvia said. "I hope you like them."

"Thank you." The boy said.

"Ciel."

"Uh-huh."

"Can we...Can we call you Winter?"

"Honey I don't think he's ready for that yet." Gray said.

"Oh I'm sorry. You're probably so shook up about all this. We'll leave you alone so you can get some rest and think and maybe a few days later we can-"

Ciel dropped his backpack and ran to hug Juvia. He hugged her so tightly and started to cry. He cried and cried. He cried for all the abuse he suffered, he cried for all his loneliness, and he cried for all the love he had been denied for seven years. Juvia held him and rocked him and whispered to him that everything was okay just like she did when he was a baby. Gray sat next to them on the floor and gently rubbed his son's head. When the poor thing finally wore himself out from crying so much they tucked him into bed with his blanket and penguin. It was hours before they could finally bring themselves to leave the room.