Night Shift

Chuck sighs as he watches in the distance. He waits , sitting on a tree stump with a jar with fireflies in them for light. And suddenly , he hears a zoom behind him.

Sonic- See ? On time , just like you sai--

Sonic trips over a root .

Sonic- Cramp. That's a cramp ! Oh , much cramping !

Sonic moans in pain as he rubs his ankle , making his uncle roll his eyes with a sigh.

Chuck- Hello , nephew.

Sonic stands back up after the pain in his ankle wore out and approaches Chuck.

Sonic- Uncle Chuck , I've been thinking , and I am willing to accept your apology.

Chuck- Really ?

Sonic- Sure. I mean , it's only right. I mean... Okay. I'm don't mean to let you down , Uncle. I'm just out trying to have some fun.

Sonic sits next to Chuck as they look at the starry sky.

Chuck-( Smiles softly ) It's a beautiful night. I remember when I used to sit here with your sister.

Sonic- ( Looks at Chuck ) I don't have a sister.

Chuck- ( Smirks ) Oh , yeah. That was you , wasn't it ?

Chuck scratches Sonic's head as he and Sonic chuckle together.

Sonic- So... Are we okay ?

Chuck- ( Smiles ) We're okay.

Sonic- ( Smiles ) Great . See , 'cause I wanted to ask you something.

Sonic stands up.

Sonic- My friends are all going to the barn tonight ; Not that it matters either way to me , but evidently,  I'm needed. I'm a sort of in an integral part of a musical number.( Grabs the jar and balances it on his head ) Yeah , I tried to tell them no , you know ? But , they were just so... I told them " My Dad's not gonna wanna cover my shift. I mean , it's my shift , not his. It isn't his ! You know ? I don't want to be selfish What's mine is mine and..."( Sets the jar down ) What do you think ?

Chuck- Sonic...  I never thought I was gonna amount too much. I certainly didn't think I'd be in charge of everything. But , that all changed one day. It was the day you and your brother showed up. I head out into the meadow and I saw two baby hedgehogs all alone , stumbling around. You know , before you two became nightmares. Well , I took you two home that night and I know it doesn't sound possible ; But I looked up to the sky and I would've swore I saw the stars dance. At that moment , I know my place was here , taking care of things. I guess you two helped me realize that. I love you both.

Chuck smiles affectionately at his older nephew. But he quickly becomes deadpanned as he sees Sonic's a little anxious and impatient.

Chuck- You still wanna go , do ya ?

Sonic- Yeah , I really do. Not that your stuff... You know , the stuff you're saying isn't nifty or anything... No one says " Nifty". I say "Nifty". I do , and sometimes , even "Swifty" . I'll say that. Very impressive.

Chuck- Go ahead , have fun. I'll cover your shift.

Sonic smiles and tackles his uncle in a tight hug.

Sonic- Thanks , Uncle Chuck ! You're the best !

Sonic turns around to leave.

Chuck- Sonic ?

Sonic- ( Turns around ) Yeah ?

Chuck- Be a stronger man.

Sonic- Yeah. Yeah , that's that saying , right ? A strong man stands up for himself and a stronger man.. Can bridge the gap between" Got it locked in a vault !

Sonic turns around and almost trips on the same root but simply jumps over it. He looks over at Chuck with an easy-going smile.

Sonic- See ? I learn !

Sonic them zooms away. Chuck just chuckles and smiles as he shakes his head. But when he suddenly heard a howl , he turns around to look at the distance with a hateful glare , something's coming. He just knows it.