Five

Chris was still asleep, sprawled out on the couch with half his body dangling to the floor. No big deal, but it was already three in the afternoon. It wasn't unusual for him, but you'd think he had stuff to do.

I had the next few days off, and today was a day dedicated to ballet. It was graceful and lovely, and pure. How I want to be. All my life, I've dreamed of living the life of a ballerina. Beautiful and strong, but most alluring of all, free. I took nearly every chance I got to go to the studio, practicing ballet after work just for a release.

My second pot of coffee was now brewing, filling the house with its bold aroma. Some days the smell alone would wake Chris from his deep sleep. I didn't care to share with anyone anyway, I must have at least a pot a day. Any less and I swear I might hurt someone.

Comfortable in silk shorts and a cotton t-shirt I sat in my small blue upholstered chair with my knees hugging my chest watching an episode of law and order. Practice was tonight and I had a lot to focus on and improve. I finally felt excited, it was something to look forward to. Today was looking to be a peaceful productive day for me.

Finally a change of pace.

A loud knock at the door made me nearly fly out of my seat. My eyes flicked over to Chris, who remained unmoved, snoring into the couch. Hesitantly, I stood and walked to the door, standing on my toes to look in the peephole. The man who stood on the porch was no man I had ever seen before, looking more rugged than Chris had when he came home.

"Can I help you?" I asked as I opened the door, already on guard. His suspicious stance set off alarms throughout my body.

The man held something behind his back with a crazed look in his eyes. "Well look at you, how you doin'?"

Ugh. Ew.

"Do you need something?" I scowled.

"I'm looking for your man. You seen Chris today?"

"Uh," I paused, feeling sick. "No, he's not uh my man. Hold on a second." I hurriedly closed the door and rushed to the couch where Chris was lounging. I shook him violently, saying his name repeatedly until he shifted to face me.

"What the fucking hell-"

"Chris, I'm not playing right now, we have company."

"So?" He rubbed his eyes tiredly.

"So he's asking for you and he doesn't look very-"

Chris jumped off the couch and glided to the door ripping it open.

"Wassup mother fucker." The man said, in an eerily calm voice. This wasn't a friend, judging by Chris's demeanor. I watched nervously as Chris stepped out the door with a dark smile on his face.

"You must be really fuckin dumb to-" Chris started, closing in on the man before he revealed a crowbar behind his back, swinging it hard into Chris' side.

"Oh my god!" I yelped, watching him double over in pain about to get another hit to the ribs. Panicked and completely useless, I threw my coffee cup at our unwelcomed visitor, hitting him in the head. The man yelped as the hot coffee splashed into his face, throwing him off his guard.

Chris took his opportunity and stood up straight, faster than I'd ever seen him move then grabbed- more like forced the crowbar out of the guy's hand. A crazed look was shown in Chris' eyes as he whacked the guy in his thigh, then his back, and he was finally on the ground about to get another sickening blow to the chest.

Oh my god, he'll kill him.

"Chris!"I screeched, the color draining from my face. "Stop! Please Ch-"