Twenty Nine

Through clenched teeth, I let out a grunt, thrusting myself forward against his arms that sat just under the bones in my ribcage. Maybe it was that his arms were too tight, or that I was too weak. Either way, there was no chance at me getting out of this hold this time.

"God damn it, just put me down." I huffed, accepting defeat.

"Throw your hands down, baby. Come on, don't be 'fraid to use all your body force. All the way down." Chris set me down to the lush grass to allow me a moment to breathe. He knew just as well as I did how bad his arms were digging into me.

"There's no use. It's the same thing as the chokehold. It took me so many tries to get out of it that I-"

"But you managed to do it." There was a hopeful look in his eyes as spoke, nodding slowly to affirm it was true. "Didn't you?"

"I don't know how many times I have to tell you, I cannot swing myself down hard enough to reach your ankle, Christian. This is impossible for me."

"It's not impossible to do at all if you do it right." His breath came out in short grunts as he wiped beads of sweat from his brow.

"If you're saying I did something wrong then just tell me. We've been out here for almost two hours already and the sun is frying me."

"Do you know what you did wrong?" He brought his water bottle up to his mouth and drained the entire thing in record time. "Go over the steps."

Someone rushes me from behind, and they're successful in grabbing me in their arms. While in their hold I have to-

"Out loud please?"

"Hook my foot behind your knee, throw my arms up so I have enough force to bend you, and then I grab your ankle."

"Right. What next?"

"If I'm successful? I can tell you what happens if I'm not. Do you want that?" I almost couldn't do it anymore. Hanging on the edge of my own strength, doubt was the easiest emotion to strike me.

"Always assume you're gonna be successful."

"Then I pull their foot so they'll land on their back. After I get them down, I'll sit on their knee and snap the leg."

"So what did you forget to do?"

"Hook my foot behind your knee."

He nodded, ignoring my smug tone. "You've gotta put pressure onto it so it'll weaken the leg."

"I'm just scared it'll hurt your back when you hit the ground."

"You won't, I promise, plus it's just practice. We're taking it slow."

"Let's just get this over with." There was an obvious distance between us, and I knew I was the reason behind it. I couldn't stand another moment of faking that everything is- and will be okay.

"You've got this, just remember to level your breathing." Standing behind me, he waited until I was in position, ready to be yanked into his arms.

"Ready." I took my stance, standing firm but pretending to be unaware. To make it as real as possible.

The very moment that my feet left the ground, my instincts told me to flail. To push against his forearms and be free. Yet, there was a sort of fire lit inside me now that encouraged me to get through this move, to perform a simple takedown in order to potentially help save my life one day.

Or maybe I just wanted to get this shit over with.

Almost a whole month in workouts and training was running me down into the ground. Chris has so much hope, putting every ounce of effort in all that he does. His most kept promise.