Eighteen

TW: SV, Drug abuse, distressing topics

Read with caution.
//

"Come on, bitch." I gripped my steering wheel tightly, setting my forehead down against the warm leather. "We're gonna be late."

Candy had called me just five minutes before I left the house, begging me to give her a ride to work. Naturally, I obliged, but this was assuming that she'd be ready to walk out the door on time. She knew damn well that being late was not an option. Especially since tonight was supposedly a big night at Honeys.

Her front door swung open, and a very disorganized looking Candy ran down the driveway. "I'm sorry!" She repeated, stuffing her bright pink duffel bag into the car before buckling herself into the seat.

"What's the matter?" I asked, taking glances at her teary face.

"Ma was trying to say goodbye to me." She sniffled, dropping down the visor mirror to clean up her face.

"Like, goodbye I'll see you later or, goodbye for good?"

"She told me what she wants to be buried in, Bri. Nonstop talking about her funeral, and who she wants there. God, she even told me to make sure I have a good life. She said freaking goodbye to me."

"Did you tell her that you love her?"

"Of course not. You know that we haven't said that to each other in years. She doesn't care." Candy slammed the visor shut and reached into her work bag.

"Do you ever think she might‐" I paused and watched her dip her pinky finger into a small baggie filled with white powder. "Girl, since when have you been doing that?"

She shrugged, sniffing up the coke she collected in her acrylic nail. "Every now and then. It's real helpful on doubles."

"I can't remember the last time I did that for work."

She held out the baggie. "You want a bump?"

Letting out a small giggle, I shook my head. "I really shouldn't."

"Pfft. Don't be a lil' pussy about it. You're not gonna get in trouble."

"Just a small one, okay?" I scooped myself up a small bit and stuffed it up my nose, inhaling it quickly. "Ah, god damn it. I forgot how bad that tastes."

"You want some gum for the drips?" Candy began rapidly digging through her bag. "You don't wanna be grinding your teeth either."

"Do not tell Chris about this, okay?" I grabbed the stick of gum and stuffed it in my mouth.

"Why?" She scoffed. "He sells it for god sakes, what makes you think he's gonna care?"

"I don't want to worry him, that's all. You know how overprotective he is, come on."