Thirty One

Against the slick white porcelain of the bathtub, my phone buzzed obnoxiously, tearing me out of my sleep

Against the slick white porcelain of the bathtub, my phone buzzed obnoxiously, tearing me out of my sleep. Immediate tension took over as I scanned my surroundings, blinking my eyes rapidly to assure I was awake.

"Hello?"

"Princess," Chris cooed, slurring over the loud noises of his company.  "You aren't gonna believe what I did."

"What happened? Did you get my voicemail? Have you looked at the cameras for me? I've been texting you all day."

"Don't you be worryin’ over nothin', babydoll."

"Oh, Christian," Hearing that soppy drunk tone in his tired voice crushed me. "I'm so—"

"No, don't cry! I've been watching the cameras all day baby. Every chance I get. Don't be sad, baby girl."

"Don't you understand why I'm scared?" I sniffled, wiping my raw nose with the back of my hand. "I feel him watching me. His smoke, those fucking cigars. I smell them everywhere and— my god, Chris, I attacked a man! With a shopping basket."

"You're doing mighty good, sweetheart. Scared that's what's— you're scared, and I don't blame you one bit, baby. I promise you that you're safe, I just checked in with Diego and he's been keeping a fine eye on you."

"I don't know what's wrong with me." My voice felt blank. Nothing felt even the slightest bit real anymore.

What is this life?

"There ain't a thing wrong with you. He's made you like this, and that's why I'm fixin' to kill him. He's made you paranoid and scared to fuckin' live your life."

"Where are you? It sounds like you're at a concert or something."

"Just at a bar, baby." The poor man was so trashed, I could hardly recognize his voice. "These fucks have been— So much booze!"

"Should I let you go?" I sniffled, sitting up in the bathtub with a careful eye on the closed curtain.

"Oh, no, you don't gotta hang up. Here— I'm gonna step out for a smoke so we can have some quiet. How 'bout that, baby?"

"I'd like that. Chris, I miss you so much. When will you be home?"

Stop fucking crying.

"I miss you too. Shit— ya know, I missed you so much I got your name tattooed. Tattoed on me. It's real cute too."

"Which one?"

"Peaches."

"That's nice, Christian. I can't wait to see it." With a deep breath, I stood up and pushed back the curtain, finding relief at an empty bathroom.

It was all mind games.

"Hey," he said as softly as he could,  a new wave of compassion in his tone. "I'll be done here in no time, sweetheart. Just waiting on— gotta wait on approval to go home now."