Thirty Three

My thumb smoothed over her phone screen, lighting it up to see a picture of us laying in her bed

My thumb smoothed over her phone screen, lighting it up to see a picture of us laying in her bed. I could look at this picture all day, no amount of time spent looking was enough. Who knew it would mean so much now? I could almost feel it. Her pink lips stretched out to kiss against my cheek, whispering in my ear; "Come on, smile.".

Why did I have to look so angry?

The sponge-like filter of my cigarette was now wet between my teeth as I rolled it from side to side, ignoring the stinging cloud of smoke as it hit my face. I bit down hard, grinding my teeth down to crush it flat as I threw my head back into her car, denting it under the force.

Looking at the splatter of her dried blood on the driveway between my legs was ripping me apart.

I fucked up.

I left her.

She was gone. There are no options. Nobody to beat the answers out of. My fists would pay the price of my mistakes, but they had no way to pay justice.

There was nothing left of her but this blood, and I had nothing left but to wait. Sooner or later someone would call. At least one person has to check their fucking phone and see the god damn calls.

Diego hasn't picked up- the fucking dumbass probably got his ass killed. I didn't care. I'll call until someone just-

Clenched tight in my other hand, my phone started to shake, lighting up as my caller I.D filled the screen.

"'Bout fuckin' time," I spoke, clearing the scratching rusty tone out of my voice. Hours of hollerin' don't do well on your throat, I found that out quick.

"Que bola?"

"Cruz, I'm in the fuckin' dark here. Diego went silent on me."

"You sound drunk." As always, he had some smart-ass way of mocking me. Like everything I say is a joke to him and his shit brain.

"Yeah, what else am I supposed to do?" The bottles were empty now, anyway. No amount of booze would take away this guilt.

"You are feeling sorry for yourself. Sorry does what, hmm? Where is he now, this man you need? Why have you let him get away so easily?"

"I have no leads, no fuckin' clue where he could be. I need to know if you-"

"Does the name Arsenio ring any bells?"

"The hotel on the coast? Ugly ass stone?"

"That one, yes."

I tightened my fists in anticipation, breaking open the scabs peeling off of my knuckles. "Tell me you have something good for me. It's been more than three fuckin' days since I've heard anything from her."

"Today is your lucky day. I've found who you're looking for. Inside this building."

I sprung off of the driveway, spitting out the butt from the dead cigarette as I tore the truck door open. "Where is she? Is she there?"