Chapter 13.5: Intermission

A Night before the Human Emperors' Meeting...

Maya's POV

Cold.

Colder than in my previous world.

My human vision could not see very well in this ice domain with an extremely thick red fog. My nose became numb after I realized that the whole place is made of frozen flesh and blood. I could barely see a pair of glowing crimson orbs that floated for about a few kilometers away from where I'm standing.

Suddenly, those orbs moved closer as the ground shakes intensely. I am certain that those orbs belong to a massive beast that I met 5 years ago because the One True God's symbol is visible from its forehead but today is my last time meeting it.

"Failure is unforgivable!" The beast growled or should I say the goddess' puppet was enraged of me.

Yes.

The goddess has a right to scold me and use her puppet to end my life. I failed her after all.

Universe Negative No. 1093

Earth 10,000 I.E. (Ice Era)

A cold temperature that pierced all over my entire being and the gray sky are the first things that registered in my mind. That's all I can recall how I was born before I could stand on my own in this ice world.

Since I exist for no reason, I am searching for answers as I walked for many years. Sometimes, I met a few aggressive, mindless and massive creatures. Fortunately, they are weak and I defeated them easily by just using my strength, speed, and ice magic.

Years have passed, I found a cave of ice that could create a reflection of myself. It was my first time seeing my appearance and stared at it. I have a pair of golden eyes, head of a dog, a feminine humanoid upper body with pair of arms, and a lower body of a dog with 4 legs and a tail, and white fur that covered my entire body.

A few moments of silence, my sensitive ears could hear a cry coming from an unknown creature deep inside the cave. It is warm and ice is no longer present in the heart of this cave as an orange light that produces heat is dying. Then my nose caught a unique scent. It is unknown and yet sweet. I wonder what it was and so I searched for it until my eyes suddenly can see behind the rocks.

The scent was coming from the bipedal creatures in thick clothing are known as humans and the small versions of myself known as canitaurs. They're all smaller than me. So small that I could easily crush them by my finger. Those creatures are cowering and tried their hardest to keep their voice down but my ears and eyes never failed me to expose them.

I tested them by simply speaking and a little human boy named Aka replied as he bravely revealed himself. It was my first time chatting to another intelligent creature. I used to be nameless but because of him, I named myself as Maya.

When I noticed that his comrades stealthily left him behind, Aka's life reminds me of my previous observations. The weakest member of the group of preys was used as a bait to avoid being slaughtered by the predator. Sacrificing one person for the sake of the others is part of their survival in this ice world but I never saw a strong creature protecting the weak. I want to see or experience something like that.