II

Ano daw?

I must have been slack-jawed for a long time kaya nagulat na lang ako nang makarinig ako ng mga tawa.

"You're an idiot, Jess." I heard Atty. Santos say while shaking his head.

"Dude, you should have seen the look on your face. It's priceless!" Jessie continues to laugh. Hawak na nga ang tiyan sa kakatawa.

Hindi ko gets. Have I been pranked?

"I apologize for this monkey, Valerie." Rom said, a ghost of a smile on his lips.

"Uhm, di ko po naiintindihan. Ano po—" Jessie was still laughing loudly. Was this guy really SVMO's  head Chief of Staff?

"Jess, tumigil ka na nga." Atty. Christian shushed and looked at me. "Val, basically, these two are here to recruit you."

Ahhhh.

WAIT. Recruit?

Jessie, who has stopped laughing, said, "KJ kayo, ano?" He turned to me and smiled, "Actually, Val, idea ko ang prank, pero silang dalawa ay game sa naisip ko, kaya they are both accomplices to the crime."

Rom raised both of his hands, "Agreeing is different from ignoring your stupid suggestions, Jessieboy, so labas ako diyan."

Umiikot na ang ulo ko lalo na nung magsimula silang magpalitan ng asaran. Must be the roller coaster of emotions kaya di ko namalayan na tumayo na pala ako at binagsak ang mga kamay ko sa harap ng lamesa.

The two stopped bickering immediately and looked at me.

"Mawalang-galang na po, pero hindi ko po naiintindihan kung bakit ako nandito. Ngayon kung wala na po akong ibang maipaglilingkod bukod sa maging katatawanan at tagapamagitan, lalabas na lamang po ako." I say almost too seriously. I look at both Jessie and Rom, and lastly at Atty. Santos who was trying to stifle a smile but is failing.

I straighten my posture and was about to turn around when Atty. Santos spoke.

"I told you, she's perfect for the role." Role? What role?

Rom nodded, and Jessie looked at me from head-to-toe. "Hindi pa rin nya sinagot yung tanong ko, pero pwede na." He smiled and stood up.

"So, Ms. Valerie Anne Sario. How would you like to be part of SVMO's Chief of Staff office?"

>>>>>>

I am sitting down inside one of the small empty offices while silently processing what happened ten minutes ago.

"Excuse me?"

Rom was the one to explain, "We're looking for someone to join our team, Valerie. A special role since we have a lot of ongoing projects and newer ones in the pipeline. 

Jess is short of hands and I desperately need someone to help our team out. Basically, we need someone to be a swinger for the Chief of Staff office and the Communications and Information department."

I nod, understanding then asks, "Okay, I understand. Pero where do I fit in this scenario?"

Jess leans forward, "We told Christian how it's so hard to look quickly for someone who can do both: good with words, comfortable with creativity, with exceptional organizational and planning skills, and is unafraid to speak her mind but not necesarily a war-freak. I mean, we looked at a lot of profiles pero nothing fits with what we want for the team."

"Then, Christian mentioned you and how he's amazed with you." Rom says.

"E si Attorney never yang pumuri ng kahit na sino! As in! Napakataas ng standards nyan. Si Javi nga lang yata ang pinupuri nyan!" Jess exclaims, as Atty. Santos shakes his head. 

"Kaya of course, we were curious. We reviewed your CV, the projects you've handled with Christian, and of course, the little test we did when you were asked to help out on the launch of the new transpo project." Jess smiles at me knowingly.

I recall last week I was asked to edit the communications plan for a local project. It was Atty. Santos who requested me to do it and since I highly respect him, I wanted to do good. I gave it my all, passed it ahead of schedule, and never heard anything back. Akala ko nga flop. Until I saw some of my suggestions already implemented. So, sila pala yun.

"So, what do you think, Valerie?" Atty. Santos asks. 

He adds, "This is a good opportunity. You mentioned how you would like to learn from this team if given the chance. Now here's your chance." Atty. Santos smiles. 

He's asked me once what I wanted to do if I could choose among the many assignments I had. I honestly answered how I heard a lot of good things about the SVMO team and how I would like to learn from them. 

Hindi ko lang naisip na mangyayari pala talaga.

It was an easy answer.

"I... I would like to explore this opportunity, Sir." I say.

Jess claps while smiling, "That's good! Now for the last step, you have to meet the big boss!"

And that was when they left me here and asked me to wait bago nila ako dalhin sa opisina niya.

I got nervous again when I remember that I'm meeting him. The town leader. The Mayor.

Javier Elizalde Genrio.

If those three are the talk of the town for their skills and intellect, then Mayor Javi is the rising star. Already elected at the young age of 30, he gave the city of San Vicente a breath of fresh air. 

Abolishing rotten practices and corrupt systems, giving the citizens what is due to them, and leading the municipality with transparency and efficiency—something that this city, actually the whole country, needs. Wala akong nakilala na may valid hate against Javier Genrio. 

Everyone is in awe of him. Including me.

Wait, baka dapat kausapin ko muna si Attorney at tanungin kung ako ba dapat talaga. Tumayo ako nung inatake na naman ako ng insecurity ko. Baka hindi ako ang fit sa requirements ng team nila. I move to open the door at the same time someone opened it from the outside.

I stop in my tracks a step before I bump into the person coming in. I look up and step back as I meet his eyes.

"Valerie?" He asks, lowering down the paper he was holding to look at me again.

Mayor Javier Genrio, everyone. In the flesh.

>>>>>

@ajnotawriter (Twitter)