VII

"Medyo traffic, Sir. Baka abutin tayo ng isang oras papuntang Isidro." Our driver, Manong Rad said.

"Okay lang, Manong Rad. Salamat." Javi answered.

I try to focus at the scenery outside the window I'm turned to. Kaming dalawa lang ni Javi ang nasa sasakyan papuntang site. Nakaupo kami pareho sa likod.

Kasalanan to ni Jess. Balisawsawin sana siyang impakto siya.

"Might as well get a nap in between. Matagal pa 'to."

I was a bit surprised when he spoke. I turn to Javi and see him reading through the stack of reports he brought with him. No wasted time. His waking hours are spent working—no, serving the public. This man is really something else.

He must have felt me staring so he turns to my direction and sees me looking at him.

I immediately look away. "I-I don't mind, Sir. Thank you."

I thought I hear a soft chuckle so I turn to look at him again and he's back looking at the reports. I don't know how I can tell but he seems exhausted. Like he hasn't gotten enough rest in the past few days.

He raises his head to meet my eyes and smirks, "You have something to say?"

"You look tired." I blurt out.

His eyebrows raise in surprise. I just realized I said my thoughts out loud so I start again, "Sir, I mean, I just mean it's that you look—"

He smiles and turns his body to me. "Is that concern I hear, Ms. Sario?" He teases.

Naramdaman kong uminit ang tenga ko, "Of course not, Sir Javi! It's just that.. I'm not.. I wasn't.." I was just about to form a full coherent sentence when I heard him laugh.

"No need to panic. I'm just teasing Ms. Sario." 

He turns his attention back to the documents he's holding. "But what gave it away?" 

He asks and looks up at my face again. "My late night social media activities?" He smiles and turns back to the papers again.

Ayan na naman yang mga pa-saring niya. This is long overdue so let's get it over with, Val.

"I'm sorry." I say without looking at him. After a few beats, I turn to him only to find him looking at me. I explain. "What you heard I said before, it was unwarranted and uncalled for. So, Sir, I'm sorry."

I continue, "It was unverified tsismis, and I played along when I shouldn't. So, for what it's worth, everything you heard I said that day isn't true. And I'm sorry, Sir Javi." I exhale a deep breath and looked up to meet his eyes again.

I almost thought he wouldn't respond when he said, "So even the part na sinabi mong pogi ako at matalino is not true?"

I feel my cheeks burn lalo na nung narinig kong nagpigil ng tawa si Mang Rad. I slapped Javi on his right arm. "Para kang tanga, Javi, ano bang sinasabi mo—"

I cover my mouth when I realized who I was talking to. I just called the Mayor of San Vicente 'tanga'.

He laughed loudly after seeing my reaction. "Edi nawala din yang pagkapormal mo."

I look at him, still embarrassed but also confused. He leaned back to his seat and said, "I told you to drop the Sir so many times, pag inasar lang pala kita tsaka mawawala." He smiled at me.