XXVI

It's been three days since the leak and the news didn't let up. 

I've been staying in the apartment, trying to work remotely despite the worry I feel. I haven't seen Javi since I went to his office pero we've been in constant communication. 

He was busy with his cases and planning how to handle this personal issue. He said he'll drop by later tonight to tell me of his plans.

I will try to persuade him again na i-deny na lang.

My phone chimed.

Javi: i miss you, love

I smile. He sent another text.

Javi: Can't drop by tonight. Something urgent came up. I'll drop by tomorrow. I love you. : *

I type a reply.

Val: It's okay. See you tomorrow.

Javi: asan kiss ko? : (

Natawa ako. Parang tanga tong si Javi.

Val: :* now get back to work

Javi: yes ma'am. love you po

I tried focusing on my work again when my phone rang. Thinking it was Javi na mangungulit pa, I answered it.

"Javi, I told y—"

"Ms. Sario." A familiar male voice greeted. Javi's uncle. Retired Senator Antonio Genrio.

>>>>>

I met up with Senator Antonio Genrio in a secluded coffee shop in N City. It reminded me of the last time we met.

"I guess a 'welcome back' is in order, Valerie." He said.

I remain silent. 

He gave me an envelope, similar to what he gave me last time. Nanlamig ako. What else does he have on me?

He seems to have sensed my apprehension so he spoke. "Don't worry, it's nothing like last time." He opened it and laid the contents out for me.

Print outs of several articles of me. I've seen it all. 

There were some speculations that I was Javi's mystery girl, so there are hate accounts and articles directed at me already. He printed those from famous sites. A for effort.

Senator Genrio laid down one more document in front of me. It was the result of an early survey rating for senatoriables. Javi was on Top 8.

"Javi used to be on the top spot. But he's dropped down several places behind in just 3 days. Guess what caused it." He said, pointing to the rest of the documents he gave me.

"Senator Genrio, I don't think it's right to blame it on me." I say, trying to hide my panic.

"Of course not, dear girl. It's not just you. There are a lot of other things that stemmed from your involvement with Javi, but it gained traction because of you. Imagine what would happen when they find out about your history. What you did." Pagdiin niya.

What I did? I look up and meet his eyes.

"Senator Genrio, I was a rape victim." I say strongly.

He seems surprised and a bit uncomfortable.